icon

SPL/SQ/Show Car Suggestions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2004 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
OK guys I am rebuilding the Civic again and going to start within a few weeks.   For those of you who dont know me, I am running 12, 10 inch w0's    great for SPL very unpracital.    I am looking to run (2) eclipse aluminums,   they will be fiberglassed into the trunk but I dont want to seal from trunk to floor because I still want to be able to hit low to mid 140's on the term lab.....some people will say it can be done others will say it cant.    I am considering behind each wheel well but then they would face each other across the trunk and I dont see this as a good option for spl...   so I am wondering what to do.....any suggestions would help.....they are 2 sw7104dvc eclipse subs.....running a memphis hc100 on them    amp is 800x1 at 1 ohm will do 1/2 ohm when needed....suggestions please
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 2:10 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not sure what I'm hitting, but with the way my subs are setup it's pretty damn loud. How about building the enclosures on each side of the trunk as walls, using all space from bottom to top, and have the subs extend out of the walls so that it faces the trunk lid? Have the enclosures seal only the sides of the trunk, allowing enough room for the trunk arms, and the enclosures curve towards the floor for a smooth integration into perhaps an amp rack. Just an idea.
Jon
Don't like rockford subs? Then don't look at my car =)
jeffchilcott 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
i was considering that idea but feared seaing the trunk off compleatly would require porting into the cab.    the new idea I am throwing around is run subs and ports facing into the cab....ahhhh I hate facing anything into the cab,   then in the rear use 1/2 lexar to have windows on the rear of the box to look in at the subs, and then fiberglass the whole trunk with the amp racks on both sides of the trunk behind the wheel wells.   The only thing that scares me is firing the subs into the cab...I suppose if I get my vent mach low enough then it will be clean enough, but too low and im afraid I wont produce the SPL im looking to achive, any suggestions on vent mach speed to stay within when firing into a cab?
2007 World Record
aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
sorry, guess my post may have been a bit confusing. I meant only sealing the trunk from top to bottom on the sides, and leaving the middle part of the trunk open. Here's an example that I just came up with using my trunk. That's about where my sub is now, but I lowered it a little bit and everything else is just painted.
SPL/SQ/Show Car Suggestions - Last Post -- posted image.
Jon
Don't like rockford subs? Then don't look at my car =)
jeffchilcott 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
I played with that idea for awhile but I would like to vent the box to get as much SPL as possible...now I am venting at a low freq so I can obtain a good level of SQ as well... I am just still trying to figure a good vent mach to stay withen if I am firing subs into the cab
2007 World Record
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  

"NW Missouri" where?  Hannibal is my home town.   Nice looking install, BTW.

Support the12volt.com
jeffchilcott 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn,   I am in Maryville Missouri...I really didnt think I would do that much business up here but the college kids go nutz...   If you were a little closer I would say you should come to our show,   Its listed as maryville chamber of commerce in the usaci site it is the 19th of next month..   I am sure I will be able to run into you at finals, i would assume with you being a matter of hours like myself you wouldnt miss it for anything
2007 World Record
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  

I'm on a fricken Island, does that count? What have you found for box info on these subs yet? I see you want to go ported, what size of box are you considering? I also assume that this Civic is a sedan. If this is for SPL then the box is probably going to be tuned quite high, correct? Your idea that you posted above is the first thing that came to mind for me, it is very similar to other systems that I have done, mind you none were geared towards SPL. If you can couple the inner vehicle to the trunk effectively that is the first step. This might mean that you have to remove the trunk springs and cut a huge nasty gaping wound of a hole in the rear deck and then reinforce it with some good solid metal to retain the structural rigidity, If this is done and some kind of (lack of better words) funnel can be coupled to the box to transfer 100% of the ouput to the interior, this might be something to consider. Let me think some more on this and post up the box info that you have please.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic