icon

installing backup siren

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
The reason I am asking is that some of the models come with a 4 wire hook up and the others come with a 5 wire harness.
The standard CS211 is a 5 wire harness. The colors and use are as follow's.
1. RED = (+) 12 VDC constant
2. BLK = (-) Chassis ground
3. WHT = (+) Positive trigger
4. BRN = (-) Negative trigger
5. ORG = (+) Battery charge, with ignition on
Other models such as the DEI 515R have only a 4 wire harness.
1. RED = 12 VDC constant
2. BLK = Chassis ground
3. VIO = (+) Positive siren input
4. GRN = (-) Negative siren input
I would just like to clarify the operation of the battery back up siren for you. When you arm your alarm you will hear a chirp, when you disarm, you will also hear a chirp from the siren(s).
When the alarm sounds, both sirens should come on. When you disarm the alarm, both should turn off.
The back up siren should idealy function on its own, when power is removed, assuming the key is turned in the armed state. If the key is left in the off state, it will only operate as a normal siren without battery back up.
I would ask you to the do the following things first to varify the operation of the siren. With the back up siren disconnected from any source when you turn the key to armed, it should sound on its own, assuming it is properly charged.
If it does not, no matter the position of the override key. Then either the battery is too low, dead, or the sirens electronics are faulty.
If it operates normally as stated above, your next step is to ensure that you wire the siren correctly as outlined above.
Remember, the siren only uses a positive or negative input trigger from your alarm. Do not wire all four wires. In your example there would only be 3 wires in total connected.
That being +12 positive from the battery, (-) chassis ground, and a (+) trigger from the alarms brown siren output.
Again, the back-up siren should always turn on and off with the alarm system upon arming and disarming. The only time the siren will not turn off is (IF) the main power source is disconnected, or a low power condition is seen.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
cruzan69 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  

OK. The siren does sound when it's disconnected from any source with the key turned to arm. Now, when I connected it as described earlier and I armed it, I was unable to turn it off until I used the key to disarm it. I did use only 3 wires to hook it up. I noticed that you said to connect the alarm's brown wire to the (+ ) trigger. Could this be my mistake? I connected the brown wire to the (-)  trigger on the siren. Were you able to pull up the install intructions on the alarm to see if I am using the correct output for the siren.

Dude, I really appreciate all the help. Thanks for having patience.

Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
The wire coming off of the APS-400 for the siren is a white with black trace on it. The siren is in fact a positive pulse from the alarm system.
Take what ever color wire from the back-up siren that is the *positive (+)* activating lead, and connect it to the APS's white with black strip.
You should be good to go from there. If you need more help, please ask.
P.S.
Please confirm the wire colors from the BB siren for us all, as I have read over this thread several times, and it was never stated as a fact, as to what it is.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
cruzan69 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  

There are 4 wires. Red and  Black (+ & -), also Blue ( - trigger) and white ( + trigger) .

I'll check it out hopefully tomorrow when I get off of work if my 16 month old son lets me. Thanks again for your help.

cruzan69 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2004 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  

Well. I was finally able to tackle it this afternoon. Everything worked out perfectly. Thanks for all your help. You really know  your sh#t! When I connected the 12v constant, I spliced it into the alarms 12v line just after the fuse. I thought that it would add a little protection.

If I were to connect  a pain generator siren, would I just use the (+,-) outputs for the alarms siren? Would I need anything else like a relay or something or is it just a straight forward 2 wire hookup?

Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2004 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
To do it safely, so as it will perform consistently and reliably. You will add a standard SPDT relay of your choice.
Everyone uses a 30 amp relay in the field, I prefer to use a 40 amp relay. The only reason is that it allows the user / owner to have that extra margin of safety in terms of current capacity, if they so desired to add in a siren, horn, or mechanical raid style horn, which draw alot of current in cold weather.
The choice is up to you on that aspect.
You will add the relay of your choice as follows.
87 - Constant +12 VDC
86 - Chassis ground
85 - From alarms siren output trigger
30 - Connects to all the siren(s) you wish, within the current limit of the relay. ie 30-40 amp max.
I would also ask you to ensure all the siren(s), are fused seperately, along with the application of SS self tapping screws, with a star washer, and dielectric grease compound.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic