icon

2 or 4 ohms?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
Oh, he did mention the amp, my bad... I went by his specs. Sorry, ignore my last post.
2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
Run the amp in stereo, one channel to each voice coil. Done. It is the safest and easiest way to do it. Do not worry if some others might say "not good for such and such reason". Just do it, and be done with it. It is PERFECTLY SAFE to do so. If you don't believe me,PM Stephen Kephart, and he will tell you the same thing. Your amps (neither one) will not support that woofer with paralleled voice coils in a bridged configuration, so just run one VC to each channel, and be done.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
Or (my preferred method) wire the VCs in series for 8-ohms and bridge the amp, which places the same net impedence on the amplifier channels and ensures a mono signal to both VCs.
Support the12volt.com
Germanesma 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  
Look guys...
I don´t want to shake my car, and be listened from 3 blocks away.
As a matter of fact I just have two pairs of 6" speakers at front and rear, and the radio. Nothing more,
What I want is to add more bass to my system, not enter to a competition.
I know also, that is not a great AMP-SUB combination.
But will it work well for my needs?
What would be the best connection:
a) One channel to each voice coil??
b) wire the VCs in series for 8-ohms and bridge the amp
I really need your best suggestions.
Thanks
Eggs putines!
dragonrage 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  
Try both ways and see what sounds better to you. Either way will work without destroying your amplifier, but neither way is optimal. You could also try using just one coil on the speaker and hook the amp up in bridged mode. The loss in sensitivity may or may not make up for the loss of current you'd get from the above 2 methods.
Germanesma 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  

What would be the optimal amplifier to that kind of sub???

Or, what would be the optimal sub for that amp???

Eggs putines!
Germanesma 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
Germanesma wrote:

What would be the optimal amplifier to that kind of sub???

Or, what would be the optimal sub for that amp???

For the sub, could be a better option a Sony Xplod 10"  XS-L101P5 ???????

Eggs putines!
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  

Since you are not wanting to wake the neighbors I would try the amp both ways stereo and bridged.  It all depends on which way sounds better to you.  In the stereo mode the amp will play louder than in the 8 ohm mono set-up.  However, if you set-up your sub to play at 8 ohms mono it will be cleaner and play with less distortion.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
Connect it either way, it will result in the same power to the sub and it will be "optimal" for this sub/amp combo.  The "optimal" amp for any sub is a mono amplifier rated for the same RMS power and total voice coil impedence as your sub(s).
Support the12volt.com
dragonrage 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  
Germanesma, first of all, I would recommend you stop buying Sony. They aren't the absolute worst, but you can get much better for the money. Since you asked: you'd want either a DVC 2-ohm per coil sub, a SVC 4-ohm coil sub, 2 DVC 4-ohm per coil subs, 2 DVC 1-ohm per coil subs, 2 SVC 8-ohm coil subs, and/or a new amp meant for subs. The amp you have is better suited for a regular set of speakers.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic