icon

Problem with Siren or Brain?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cambosoup99 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
I Installed a viper 650 on my vehicle not to long ago. but lately i've noticed that the alarm doesn't chirp when i arm OR disarm the system and sometimes it does chirp.
I checked the ground on the brain and the siren both are good. Everything on the alarm seems to work fine.
Then I tried to locate the problem by turning on the panic mode. When I put my ear close to the siren I can hear it sounding off in a really really low sound.
Seems to me that the siren has a short or something is loose in it.
GOT ANY IDEAS??/?/?/??
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
Stick to the basics in trouble shooting. Disconnect the red 12 VDC power wire leading to the siren. Run a piece of wire to the siren, and varify that it does indeed sound at full volume.
If it does not, varify the ground point for the siren. If you installed the siren correctly, it should be pointed down, away from extreme engine heat, and be affixed to the vehicles chassis frame to a paint free metal partition. The last step is to secure the ground point with a SS sheet metal screw with a star washer.
Lastly, you will apply some dielectric grease compound to promote current transfer, and inhibit moisture build up and rust formation.
If the siren works as stated above, then you need to varify the ground point in the alarm system. Again you must use a DMM to varify the ground potential as being sound.
You are shooting for a 1 ohm and below reading. Start from there, and let us know.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 30, 2004 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
and make sure you are not accindently hitting the trunk release button first, which will put the unit into "silent arm " mode
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
tnelsonx2x 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 7:03 AM / IP Logged  
Man..the same thing happened to me. I'm thinking they got wet ..or overheated..I don't know which one.. but same thing happened. After checking my wiring..I disconnected my siren and connected it directly to my battery..and it didn't sound..if I put my ear very close to it..I can barely hear it.. I just replaced it..hell it's only 5 bucks. BUt I need to figure out what caused it...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic