icon

Locating Front Speakers In A Cargo Van

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tombrooklyn 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  

The 6x9 front speakers in the doors of my Cargo van are mounted low on the doors and are partially blocked by the seats.    The sound stage created from this speaker placement is pretty poor.   

Any ideas on where speakers could be relocated or added to improve things?  

Would just adding rear speakers help?  I have a feeling that would just confuse the correct sound stage impression.     

Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of van? Year,make,model? I have the same problem with my old ford econoline cargo van. Speakers are too low. Adding the rears speakers probably won't help the front stage at all..It'll just give you somewhat of a surround sound effect. I plan on making new door panels for my van and also incorporating speakers pod higher up on the dash
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Locating Front Speakers In A Cargo Van -- posted image.
Sweekster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of van? Year,make,model? I have the same problem with my old ford econoline cargo van. Speakers are too low. Adding the rears speakers probably won't help the front stage at all..It'll just give you somewhat of a surround sound effect. I plan on making new door panels for my van and also incorporating speakers pod higher up on the panel to create a better front stage.
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Locating Front Speakers In A Cargo Van -- posted image.
tombrooklyn 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  

Hi Duane,

My van is a '95 Dodge Ram 2500 Extended.   I haven't taken the door panels off.   Ought I do that and see if I can find a spot to install speakers higher?   

I will probably have power windows put in,  so that might affect the ability to place speakers higher I suppose.    At that time I would be able to check out what room is back there.   

I think there is some room on the lower dashboard to put in some small speakers, perhaps up to about 3 1/2 inches.   I don't know how much that would help.     I could probably put tweeters in there, but I think I might need more than just tweeters to improve the overall sound stage image.   I wonder how much midrange I would get out of something like that.

TomBk

Sweekster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
Is there room for kick panels in there? My van is an 87 and it didn't actually have speakers in the doors or in the rear doors when it was built (the previous owner had the holes cut for the speakers) it came with just a radio and one speaker in the center of the dash.
I've also added power windows/locks to it too. My door panels are flat with just the arm rest sticking out so my plan is to make a new panel and with a speaker pod that brings the speaker up higher and out of the hole in the door. Kind of like this
You may want to consider making a set of speaker pods that attach to the door panel. Then you can better setup the stage imaging to your liking.
Duane...
tombrooklyn 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  

Sweekster wrote:
Kind of like this   You may want to consider making a set of speaker pods that attach to the door panel. Then you can better setup the stage imaging to your liking.
  Hi D:

I hadn't thought about that.    What do you make them out of, thin plywood and fiberglass?   I could probably work up something like that.   TomBk

Sweekster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
I'm going to be building the panel out of 1/2 inch MDF (medium densisty fiberboard) and fiberglassing it for strength-then covering it in vinyl. And then making the speaker pod out 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch MDF rings and a 1/4 inch mdf base/backing plate (also covering that with vinyl as well).    
Duane...
tombrooklyn 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  

Hi D:

Are you going to make the whole door panel out of 1/2" MDF.  That seems very thick and heavy.     TomBk

Sweekster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 1:20 AM / IP Logged  

I might actually end up doing the front doors with 1/4 inch and the rear doors with 1/2 inch so I can flush mount and blend in the rear speakers- who knows?   I'm still doing preliminary planning for this because I'm going to be redoing the whole interior of it.  So there may be some more changes along the way.  But if I were just doing the front stage, I'd do speaker pods.

Duane...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic