icon

2nd Battery w/ Stock Alternater

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ih8u37 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2002 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  

Will adding a 2nd battery, run parallel to the original & connected only to my audio equipment, help me at all if it's being run off the stock alternater of a '01 Chevy Malibu? I've been told the only thing it will aid in is running the system with the car shut off (i.e. it will run longer before the battery/batteries die). Is that all it will do? Sorry if this is dumb question. Thanx in advance for the help.

P.S. If I do decide to upgrade my alternater, any brand suggestions? Also, who in the Southeastern Michigan area could do that upgrade & do it well? Thanx.

enuro12 
Copper - Posts: 31
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2002 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  

1. A second battery will help with power for your system. Mostly longer playing time when the car is not running

2. If your not running a competition system and just want punchier bass or power available for your amps when they ask for it then get a CAP, calculate the size of Cap you need by the watts your amps total togeather. 1000watts of amps then you only need a 1frad cap and so on 1frad for each 1000w's of power.

3. A bigger alternator. I posted a question about the best place to get one for my ford so its not the same for your CHEVY, but just do a search.

bberman1 wrote:
]Try these sites http://www.wranglernw.com   http://www.alternatorparts.com http://www.mralternator.com

Both of these sites are great sources for alternators, i would buy a new one, it will probly come with a life time warranty but if you have yours modifyed it may only be a 30day or so.

chuck

Chuck,
tech junky
echodelta9 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2002 at 2:43 AM / IP Logged  
Never parallel two lead acid batteries as they aren't equal and over many charge and use cycles get unequal treatment and one will fail. The way RV,s  and hams and emergency management units do it is with diodes isolating the two batteries. Both will get their share of the charge and the sound system or radio rig runs off of the 2nd battery so if run down the primary is ready to start and keep data holding units happy. Look at RV supplies or one if those big auto supplies. Yes big caps work, best right at amps with no wimpy screws or crjmped eyes at the end of long runs of  heavy gage; say from front battery to rear trunk amps.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic