icon

Understanding Speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
badtazboy 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
I am having trouble understanding speaker rms and max. I am looking at getting Polk Audio MMC6500 Components. They are rated 125 watts rms and 250 watts max.
I guess my question is: should I be looking for an amp with the rms or max to match up?
And when an amp says 150X4 rms does that mean that the amp will produce 150 watts per channel or 150 divided by 4?
Any help would be appreciated.
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
For your first question, look for an amp that will put out the same or close to the same wattage RMS as the speakers take RMS. Very rarely, if ever, will an amp put out max.
And when an amp say 150X4 RMS, that means it puts out 150 watts RMS to 4 channels. So in other words, the total RMS of said amp would be 600 Watts RMS.
Paul
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
Here's a post I wrote some time ago about this subject.  In general, ignore "MAX" or "PEAK" and work with "RMS."  And if you are considering equipment that does not list RMS ratings @ 12 volts, don't buy it.
Support the12volt.com
badtazboy 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
Currently I have a Lanzar Vibe430 which is about 7-8 years old and it still runs great. The specifications say that it puts out: 4 x 125 Watts RMS at 4 Ohms and 4 x 250 Watts Max at 4 Ohms which seem to match the speakers. So my assumptions would be that my current amp would match the speakers perfectly or am I missing something?
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, your right were you should be.  I am a bit skeptical that the polks will take the full 125 without popping.  Check the manual on the Polk's, sometimes the number quoted is with a crossover (pioneer does this alot) and the full range number will be quite lower.  Say a component set will advertise 50rms w/ 80hz high pass Xover or 40rms full range.  I looked those up at sounddomain and they seem to be of good quality, but many companies over rate their speakers.  Ratings also have allot of variables such as enclosure, how you equalize, how they tested for wattage, type of music you play, ect.  The simple of it is - yes, your fine.
Francious70 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
That amp would match your speakers perfectly, IF your speakers take 125 watts RMS. Ignore the words MAX and PEAK. They really mean nothing, it's just a marketing ploy to make it seem like the amp or speaer or whatever component is in question, is more powerful.
Example:
Pyramid Crystal PB1281X, 1600 watts max power PB1281X
Phoenix Gold X600.1 amp, 600 watts RMS. X600.1
Which would you rather buy?? Disreguard the brand, only look at the specs.
Paul
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
I don't need to look at the specs when the brand names tell me everything I need to know.  Pyramid has never made an honestly rated amp.  Never.  Nothing with that name brand on it will ever go through my hands, except on its way to the trash can.
Support the12volt.com
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  

My trash can is full of Bose and similar right now. 99% of manufacturers will lie through their teeth about power ratings. Any amp that is rated at 125w x 4 rms will have a minimum of 100amps of fusing, if not more.

Badtazboy, what is the size of the fuse in your amp. If it is the standard anywhere arouund 40 amps. your amp is making around 30w rms x 4.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  

Gotta go with DYohn on this, brand means so much more then specs.  Look at the specs on the Pyramid junk!  On the other hand, when MTX puts a spec sheet out that says 250x1rms, you can believe it.  Pyramid has never published a believable spec in its history.  Also, look for big name brands with questionable specs.  Does anyone think the usable frequency response of a pair of cheap Kenwood/Sony/Pioneer 6.5's is 30-30,000hz?   http://www.crutchfield.com/S-nIWfDYHko2y/cgi-bin/ProdComp.asp?g=52000&s=0&cc=01&submit1=Click+to+Remove+Items+%3E%3E+&ITM070XIN6X53=&070XIN6X53=on&ITM113KFC1669=&ITM130TSG1640=&ITM158XSV1640=&ITM107MMC650=&ITM108635I=&ITM109P652S==

Check that out.  is there any doubt that the 200 stuff sounds better then the 50?  Because on paper the cheap stuff looks preety good.

Francious70 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
I was just trying to say that the RMS power rating is more important than the MAX or PEAK power rating.
Paul
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic