icon

How To Run 2 amps with one RCA?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
carguy411 
Silver - Posts: 683
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
i have a alpineHU with only one rca out. im running 2 amps a jl 350/4 and a jl 1000/1. on the 3550/4 i will be runnig components up front and coaxials for the rear which means im going to have 4 crossovers.. now i was goingto get an audio control 4xs to split the signal. the only thing that i was thinking is if i sent just the highs out of the crossover to the front speakers im not goingto get and up front bass then?? is that how its going to work. i would rathert send full range signals to all the chs. and then have it crossedover and the individual speaker crossovers. what should i do and tthe best way??
thanks for your help
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  

Run the full range RCA's into the 4-channel amp.  The amp has crossover settings for the fronts and rears, so set both to high pass and set the low limit to about 80 Hz.  That amp also has a full range output to connect RCA's to the sub amp.  Set the sub amp on low pass and also at about a 80 Hz high limit.

The crossovers on the components will split that 80 HZ and up signal to the mid and tweeter.  If you want the fronts or rears to play lower than that you can use the adjustment on the amp, but you generally don't want to play the sub freqs on the mids as it will distort the rest of the sound.  The rear coaxials can be attenuated by adjusting the amp gain to a less sensitive setting. 

I don't see a need here to add an additional crossover to the system.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
cornfedmancow 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  

Your JL350/4 or 450/4 should have a pre-amp output to "Bi-Amp" your second Amp (1000/1).  Use a Heavy Gauge Sheilded "Y" connector to run all 4 channels and then run a second set of RCA's from your 350/4 or 450/4 pre-amp out puts into the 1000/1 input terminals. Set your 1000/1 for low pass and you should be running both amps from 1 set of RCA's from your deck.

If all else fails, read your owners manual, page 9, tells you how to bi-amp in 3:1 or 5:1, modify as needed

Eagles may soar - but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.
carguy411 
Silver - Posts: 683
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  
ok i looked into it. the 1000/1 has a preamp output and the 300/4 has the ability to run all for channels with 1 pair of rca ins. so i can go fron the HU to the sub amp and then out to the 4ch amp fullrange and let the crooovers do there jobs right.
am i on the right track
thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic