Legacy Speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KrazyLoCo 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 3:15 AM / IP Logged  

Hi All,

I bought some Legacy 3 1/2 100watt speakers, and installed them. They can handle a lot more power than my factory speakers, but they sound like tin cans! Is this normal with Legacy speakers? I 'tested' them for 3 days and just couldn't stand it anymore, so I changed back to my factory speakers that sound a lot better.

The Legacy's could go to a higher volume without distorting, but as I said, they sound like tin cans, if you know what I mean. Kind of a like a really low bitrate MP3/WMA. I was thinking of buying Pyramid 3 1/2 120watt speakers and hopefully they'll sound better...

fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 7:04 AM / IP Logged  
Pyramid and Legacy are in the same category.
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  

Are they out of phase, are you sure you have the positive and negative in the right spots?  Excluding that, you bought cheap speakers, expect cheap sound.

KrazyLoCo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  

Yep the + and - were connected right.

I know they are cheap, but  jeez I expected better quality than my factory speakers. Oh well I learned my lesson. :(

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, go out and listen to some brand name speakers at your shops and see what sounds best to you in your price range.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
I bought a set of Memphis 3 1/2 speakers for my car and i love them. I listened to 3 1/2s from JL (fabric tweeter, sounded great, but a little more then I wanted to spend), Blaupunkt (plastic tweeter, didnt like the sound), mb quart (aluminum tweeter, sounded great but to expensive) and the memphis (aluminum tweeter, sounded great and only $40 for the pair).
Keep in mind that 3 1/2s are really only good for the highs, get a good pair of 6x9s in the back and amp them, like I did, or install some 5" ones in the kickpanels...assuming your car doesnt have door speakers.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
If you are looking to spend about the same amount of money but get great sound for cheap look into street edge, it is a offbranch of memphis audio, I am now carring the equipment and been very impressed with it
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
KrazyLoCo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2004 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  

Okay thanks a lot for the information, guys. I really appreciate it.

I was thinking of putting some 6x9's in the sidepanels, or maybe some 5's. But it seems like a lot of work! Dash speakers suck. :(

Anyways, I will look around for those brands that you all mentioned, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2004 at 4:50 AM / IP Logged  
legacy and pyramid are the same company. and yes they sound like tin cans they are just cheap speakers. I have heard some of those brands that did not sound that bad. alot of it is in the set up. If your not looking to spend a lot of money you'll just have to shop around
Big Dave
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2004 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
Im not sure how good of sound you are looking for, but I recently added a set of kenwood 6x9s to the back of my car, and have them running off a power acoustik amp and the mids and highs sound 10 times better then they did with just the memphis 3 1/2s and stock 6x9s.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic