icon

Audiovox Prestige APS996C Colorblind wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Chromic-Chris 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2004 at 2:22 AM / IP Logged  

I just got the newest 2 way Audiovox/Prestige APS996C.

Looking at the last page on the schematic (located at...

http://www.clubgpstore.com/itemview.asp?itemid=109

18 of the 24 I/O wire colors are in different locations on my plug than the schematic

(OK are white &wht/Red for Parking lights, black ground, purple door trig orn & orng/wht starter inhibit)

ALL 6 power side wires are completely different colors.

Can anyone give me a hint as to why this is? Could it be from a non-updated older APS996A or similar model ?

If I go ahead and start wiring, I was going to forget colors, and go by the schematic pinout location. Sound OK?

Thankyou  for any help!! I will wait to see posts  here before causing my car to explode.

raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2004 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged  
They are different colors because they connect to different wires and have different functions.  If you don't know the colors, I would suggest keeping the diagram near.  One wrong wire can screw up your entire install.
Do it right the first time
Chromic-Chris 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2004 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  

Everything you said sounds right, but it doesn't seem to answer my question.

Colors are at different locations at the plug pins (connecting to brain)

Do I follow pinout logic or color?

Ex: Diagram says pin 10 is Drk GRN: (+) Shutdown.... but I have BLU.

Can I still assume it's (+) Shutdown or do I need to call Audiovox?

raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2004 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
If my memory servers me correctly, Audiovox did have a few misprints in their manual.  We have had to call for verication on several of their alarms.  Call Audiovox to be safe.  I do recall a misprint in their tach learn sequence also.
Do it right the first time
Chromic-Chris 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2004 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  

Would you believe the "APS996 Installation Manual" is totally different than the "APS996C Installation manual" ?

Maybe you guys can tell me if I'm just crazy because I honestly dont know what to think anymore.

It would SEEM to me that if a company makes an APS996A and then follows with an APS996C......and THEN puts  "APS996 Installation Manual "(with NO suffix designation) ....that it would be good for BOTH suffixes A & C right??? ..................NOoooooooooo!

Turns out C although similar on the outside, is a different beast inside.

Now that would be fine if at least Audiovox HAD the "C" manual on the website, but it is NOWHERE to be found...(and thus prompting people like me to make silly assumptions. The swell guys at Audiovox were nice enough to let me know that the speciffic manuals existed.

Now I've spent my tiny reserve from those anger managment classes.

I'm already peeved and I haven't even made connection #1 yet!

I WAS saving it for when I had 25 some odd random snarled connections under my dash, which just might spew out black smoke when I finally pushed the start button.

All this just so I can have toasty buns in January, and to entertain the thought that someone would actually steal a 97 GTP.

Hmm....does Walmart sell Prozac?

Scott35 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2004 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
The APS996c is made for Circuit City and has the dei wiring colors on it, I believe. The colors are different from the 996A.
Tacomacrew
mxxmikexx 
Silver - Posts: 796
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2004 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  
i just did a 996c , we always get 996a's from our distributor, and yes the colors on the c are different from the a, scott35 is correct about the c is made for circuit city, i didnt pay any attention to the pinout locations to be honest with you when i benched it, just follow the wire color/function and you should be fine. i rarely have product problems,and you have to love the lifetime warranty with audiovox, but their installation / programming methods could DEFINATLY use some work!!!
Chromic-Chris 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2004 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for your input. Very very helpful! Color vs pinout on the I/O plug, but the 6 wire pwer plug doesn't even have any colors the same (and I don't have past knowledge as you guys on older versions).

Circuit City only sells installed alarms, not  installation manuals. And I thought the Circuit City version was "Code Alarm" (model CA-645 in this case)?

I did however manage to pay for a set of APS996C wiring schematics with the 'ol credit card.  If you guys think it is an important enough issue, ...I will post it somewhere at this site as per your recommendations......when I get the diagram next week.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic