icon

boxes and amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Iburnthings 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2004 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  

I'm not new to car audio, but I'm a little inexperienced when it comes to some things. So my first question is......

I'm looking to buy (or maybe build, I'd just prefer to buy if I can find it and its not that expensive) a triple 12 box (space is no issue) with 2 sealed chambers and one ported chamber. The sealed so I can get the accuracy and the ported so I can get the "boom". Would this sound good in anyone's opinion? Would I be better off buying one double 12 sealed box and then a ported bandpass box seperate?

Second question is when it comes to amplifiers, how big of a difference is there really when it comes to sound quality? I've only really used kenwood and sony. But what about those brands like Pyle and Legacy and Lanzar? They're less than half the price per watt as the big names, so what's the difference? Because all amplifiers work basically the same way right?

switch_hitter 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2004 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  

thats gonna be a project you will have to take upon yourself, i have never seen a pre-fab box in that configuration. Actually i would recommend that you just run 3 good 12s, all sealed with a decent amp, you will get plenty of bass with that..

as far as different brand amps. the difference is the quality of the components inside the amp, remember, you get what you pay for.

2 Memphis HPO 12s
1 Memphis 1000D
2 Memphis 8s
1 Memphis MC200
4 Memphis 3way 6 1/2s
1 Memphis MC3004
4 Memphis Tweeters
1 Memphis 3-way electronic crossover
2 Memphis 5 1/4
2 Memphis 4s
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2004 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
I would reccomend venting each box to a lower freq, with a very low vent mach. vented baoxes can be very clean as well if designed right.   as far as the amps...a rule of thumb i use is for every 1 amp on the fuse it can produce about 10 watts rms...an amp like a legacy rated at 2000 watts may have a 40-60 amp fuse....only about 400-600 watts rms realistically..also the distortion on those amps normally rates from .08-2% distortion versus .004 or so with your name brand    trust me it makes a diffrence because amps distr=ortion is rated at 4 ohm, lower the impedance the higher the disortion.
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2004 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  

What your trying to do sounds like a recipe for disaster that will probably lead to cancellation all over the map. Never mix different types of drivers / box types unless you know how they are going to work and it is there for a dedicated problem. There are lots of avenues to get a loud and good sounding stereo system. A ported box can play some stinking loud and low notes and sound really great at the same time. The box type will provide much more detail to the type of output you are after. I would suggest that you rethink your approach to what you want to do. I would like to suggest that you find 2 good subs and build the box to suit their needs. 3 subs can be done as well, as long as the amp ----> sub ----> box is done properly. What vehicle is this for?

As far as the amps go, the size of the fuse will tell you alot about the capabilities of the amp. If is says 1000watts on the heatsink and has a 20 amp fuse, it will make a great door stop. Once you find your choice of subs, this will help you to determine the amplifier that must be used to operate them properly.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Iburnthings 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2004 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  

Well thanks for the responses. I guess I am gonna have to rethink this. This is going into a dodge caravan with only 1 back seat. Once I get the subs in I'm thinking about mounting a beam to the ceiling and putting 2 6x9's (in boxes of course) and two 3 and 1/2s on it plus a set of tweeters in the door panels to balance out the subs and running the stock speakers (two 5.25s in the dash and 2 6x9's in the rear hatch) through a seperate EQ to create a sound field with a little bit of a reverb effect. Any opinions on that one?

But a question about running 3 subs..... Could I get a 2 channel amp and run 2 subs in series and then run the other sub on its own channel? If I'm counting right a 2 ohm stable amp would do me just fine if I did that. Or would it be better to just get a 3 channel amp?

And then if I did that could I put a ported box in the front without cancelation problems since ported boxes aren't generally as loud as sealed and I would be running a 4 ohm load to it lowering the wattage compared to the 2 sealed subs running at 2 ohms?

Or am I just making this way more complicated than it has to be?

jeffchilcott 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2004 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
OK first thing, ported/ vented boxes are much "louder" then a sealed box.    Lets just say trust me on that one, im not going to go any further.    Second.    There really isnt a thing called a 3 channel amp.    you dont need a channel per sub, wired properly you could run all three on one channel.    but like we all tried to clarify before. you really cant mix sealed and vented enclosures. you cant mix subs, and legacy,pyle, anything else that you find at a flee market/dirt mall/walmart/guy selling stuff out of a tent in a parking lot/   will normally be not worth the shiny aluminum they are made of
2007 World Record
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2004 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
WOW i dont know what to say wbout this whole situation. First off, like everyone else said, DO NOT MIX ENCLOSURE TYPES. Very Bad Idea.Its already been explained why. Second off, Pyramid, Legacy, Pyle etc are great to power certain types of, um, check that, they are good for nothing practical. Third I really dont like your Idea for speakers. First off scrap the 3/12's they have no good use unless you have  factroy 3 1/2 inch spot you must use. Also 6x9's in general are louder but do not sound as good as a 6 1/2. If You are set on using this speaker bar of yours than I would suggest using 6 1/2's, probally 2 sets and replacing the 5 1/4's in the dash with a decent set of aftermarket ones. Scrap the 6x9's in the back. To me it sounds like you are looking for super loud and not a whole lot else. I am interested in knowing how you plan on mounting this beam to the roof of the car as well.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 01, 2004 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  

Your last question sums it up...yes you are.  You're imagining too much, without the benefit of knowledge about how a good system should be set up.  There really is a right way to do things...try the right ways, the time-tested and proven ways...before inventing new and uncommon scenarios.

Some points:  You said that you believe a sealed enclosure is louder than a ported one.  Not at all.  Normally the other way around.  You should try to find some of both and have a listen to a few systems to make up your mind as to what general type you want.  In car audio, ported subs are usually used by those who want to maximize the boom of certain low frequencies..."SPL"...but that is just a general statement and the other statements to follow are just as general.  By thinking in terms of using both kinds, to get the best of both worlds, so to speak, you end up creating a disaster as Rob pointed out.  Sealed enclosures for subs, on the other hand, are generally preferred by those seeking "SQ", or the best realism in their bass.

The time-tested approach is to:  Get rid of all the stock speakers.  Don't use them, unless you're using them to collect paper clips on your desk.  Set up a strong and clear front soundstage, using good two-way components that will play the entire musical range from 80 Hz and above.  The subwoofer(s) can be placed anywhere in the cabin you find fitting to put them, as the frequencies in that low range are omnidirectional.  Rear speakers can provide a better soundstage to rear occupants, or otherwise might contribute to your sound as long as they are at a softer decibel level than the fronts.  Sitting in the front seats, you should not be able to locate music coming from behind you.

Have an amplifier dedicated to the speakers, and another amp dedicated to the subwoofer.  The fronts should be at no lower than 4 ohms for best sound.  The subs can be run at 2 ohm on the amp, and in some cases as low as 1 ohm.  A good system might have a 4 channel amp for four interior speakers ( 2 fronts, 2 rears), and a mono amp for the sub.  Try not to think out of the box when connecting speakers to an amplifier, series or otherwise.  Dedicate a channel to each speaker.

The more subs added, the more knowledge and experience you must have to design it to the point it will work well.  I also recommend the two sub approach, and you decide if you want to use ported or sealed.  Creating your own enclosure is a near must for best results, or you can hire a pro to custom-build one for you.  If you go the route of a pre-made, avoid disaster and choose sealed, as it is more forgiving than any other type.

Look at the entire picture of what you need for a good system, and get your list of materials on paper.  There are things that are best done in a certain order.  For example, sound damping for the van's sheet metal panels.  You may have a lot of money and work in just that part of it, but leaving it out altogether will cause horrible results.  Forget the idea of the rear pole with the variety of speakers on it, it will be a waste of time and effort.

Okay, 'nuff said.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2004 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
Last comment, put the poles in the back to good use. Get some strippers
2007 World Record

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic