icon

Spec Question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2004 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys, I just want to get everyone's opinion on this amp that I bought really cheap. It is a MA Audio Hard Kore series HK-397 2-channel model, and the specs from the MAAudio.com website are: 150w RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms stereo, 250w RMS x 2 @ 2 ohms stereo, 600w RMS x 1 @ 4 ohms mono. So, what I want to know is has anyone had experience with this amp (or brand) and what does everyone think the amp is putting out for real (RMS & MAX). Thanks in advance, -Matt

redlight831 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2004 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  

Matt i have never heard of it....so i dont know its a good idea to say with brands you know...what amps say the put out and really do are two totaly diffrent things

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 02, 2004 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
Here's how you can tell for yourself what the amp puts out:  hook it up properly in your car, all the right wiring, etc.  When it comes time to adjust the amp gain, use a test tone CD and a digital multimeter.  Read the voltage output at the speaker terminals.  Use Ohm's Law to get the voltage you should get according to specs ( I = sq rt (P/R)).  If it is sending a clipped signal to the speakers after that, and when you adjust the gain down it gets better, then that proves it is overrated.  But if everything sounds good after that, the rating is right on.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2004 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  

ok, thanks alot. I have heard of MA Audio before, quite often actually, but I have never used it personally. They seem like a reputable company, and they offer several very large amps and good looking speaker, but I know the specs don;t always tell all. Thanks again.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 02, 2004 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  

oops...wrong formula given above...It should be this one:  E = sq rt (P * R).

You can use this JL tutorial as a guide:  http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/index.html

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic