icon

bridging Ignition and Constant wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jaice 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2004 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
Is it necessary to hook the Ignition 12v and the Constant 12v wire together? I know many people do this but why. A friend told me thats the only was some radios work. The Sony in my car isn't bridged, but it was when it was in my sisters car so should I change it. Sometimes when I cut the ignition off and back on, the radio doesn't come on, could that be the reason, I really think its because the radios crap. Do you bridge your wires, why?
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2004 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
You should never bridge those wires together. The have been seperated for a reason, if they were to be hooked up together they would have done it internally. If anyone tolf you you should then tell them not to touch any car wiring ever again due to him not knowing his ass from a hole in the ground.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2004 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  

To make it easier for you to understand, the constant wire should be hooked to a constant +12 volts, this is what keeps memory in your HU ( radio station presets, clock, tone adjustments, etc.)

The ignition or switched +12 volts is what actually turns the HU on with the ignition, and should be hooked to a ignition switched +12.

When they are "bridged" or hooked together to a constant +12 volts, then you have to manually turn the HU off when you get out of your vehicle. When they are hooked to a switched +12 volts, then you lose your memory everytime you turn the key off.

Hope this gives you a little more understanding on where you should have these wires hooked. In any situation, the best and most professional thing to do is buy a wiring harness for your vehicle,available at any local stereo shop. It is a plug that connects to your factory HU plug and you splice it together with your aftermarket HU plug ( the wires are 99% of the time color for color) and plug both ends in.

Jaice 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2004 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  
I knew what they were for, but just wondered why people hooked them togehter. What really got me thinking was why did Circut City wire it like that too? They probally didn't use the constant 12v comming from the car or couldn't find it in my sisters car.

Thanks for the info
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 06, 2004 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  

the only time i've seen it done for a reason was in the older BMW's and Audi's that didnt have a switched power source at the radio.... the problem combining these wires is that often the clock and/or illumination stays on waiting for the ign to be cycled off... which means the battery dies after a day or two....

spend the extra 20-30 minutes, separate them and wire them properly to switched and unswitched power.....

remember, there's two ways to do everything.... and one of them is properly......

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2004 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  

Wow...another hack job by CC!

How hard is it to run a wire to the steering column or fuse panel and connect the ACC 12V+ like it's supposed to be?

A friend of mine paid for a pro install for a $500 clarion and they left one of those unhooked, it worked for a week before it died completly! The shop manager apologized and was rather surprized that it even worked at all. I told him to save his $35 next time and leave it to the man.

I could be wrong, but I do believe that the BATT or yellow + wire is the main source of current and the ACC red wire is just an 'enable' voltage, much like the amplifiers with the power and remote connections.  For this reason, the BATT + wire and ground should be connected to something solid.

robb420in323 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2004 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  

I think Calling the connection of those to wires together a hack job is a little excessive..

Some people want their stereo compleatly sepereated from the Vehicles wiring..

Hunter S. Thompson for sheriff
djmoose 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2004 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

I think there is also an issue on new GM cars with the DataBuss II system...or whatever it's called.

Insted of ignition...BCM tells the radio to come on via the purple databus wire.

Thus, you really need to get those Databus adapter/harnesses to get everything to work happily with the car's computer...so maybe this bridging the wires is a ghetto way around this?

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2004 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
Regardless of why it was done, its flat out wrong and should not be done, period. If circut city did it then it sounds like someone needs to go back to the learning tree. This is something that should be known to anyone installing and something that should be put in that big box of inexcusible acts, kinda like running power wire through the doors instead of through the firewall and not installing a hood pin on a command start because you "cant find a place for it" or just wanna save time. Not smart and not proper. As was said above, its not like this was a hard thing to correct, I dont car what kinda car it was, it couldnt have taken that long to do even if they just wanna tap into the sterring column wires and fuse it. So simple and yet still ignored. I tell ya, some peoples children :)
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
djmoose 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2004 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  

Ravendarat wrote:
As was said above, its not like this was a hard thing to correct, I dont car what kinda car it was, it couldnt have taken that long to do even if they just wanna tap into the sterring column wires and fuse it. So simple and yet still ignored. I tell ya, some peoples children :)

Calm down....I wasn't condoning this...but rather was trying to think what could possibly cause someone to even WANT to do this let alone CONSIDER this.

bridging Ignition and Constant wire -- posted image.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic