icon

Spray sound dampening?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2004 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  

I know all these sound dampening questions have been asked numerous times, but I was wondering what the pros and cons are off using rubberized undercoating which you can find at car part stores. I heard that they are really sticky and messy. Is this true? Is it just sticky and messy in the beginning until it hardens? And does heat have any kind of affect to this?

Thanks

Asmodeus 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2004 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  

It is VERY messy you have to tape EVERYTHING off...It isnt as bad once its dry but some of the cheaper undercoating takes a while to dry...

All I have ever used as far as spray on goes is Rhino Liner..Its a little more expensive and its messy also but the end product is Great...

Spray sound dampening? - Last Post -- posted image.
Making the World A Louder Place
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2004 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
There are two common under coating materials you will see at the auto store. One is the rubberized version, the other is ashphalt based.
The rubberized based material when dry will appear, and to the touch will be dry. The ashphalt based material will always feel tacky or semi-wet.
I prefer to use the rubberized based material as it does not allow rocks and road debris to become imbedded into the material.
Also, when you are washing the vehicle with a high pressure washer you will notice that the ashphalt material will move and hence give you that water shearing effect.
No matter what type you use, please spend the extra cash for a high quality coating.
Just in case you didnt know, Walmart sells the Bondo brand for only $1.47 for a large can. I have been using this material for over 6 years since it came out.
Works great, but make sure you shake the can for the whole 2 minutes, and during the spraying process.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
godd dan it 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2004 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
Ok thanks. I was going to buy this to spray the inside of the trunk. So Teken, I wouldnt have to worry about pressure washing it.
customsound 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2004 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  

Why not try the dyna mat spray on, kill 2 birds with one stone. great bass, and road noise reduction

\

Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2004 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
godd dan it wrote:
Ok thanks. I was going to buy this to spray the inside of the trunk. So Teken, I wouldnt have to worry about pressure washing it.
LOL, I know your intent was for interior use. I just wanted to point out some of the pit falls of each. You should also make sure the material being selected is paintable.
It may not appear to be important to you now. But if your tastes change or other upgrades appear to you in the future. That is something that makes the whole process one less aggravating.
Please remember, that you need to apply the material in even coats, and let it dry completely after each coat.
Not doing so will allow the hydroscoping effect to appear faster, and affect your area of application.
ie. The material will simply wick & draw in the moisture from the air, while the drying process is being completed. When you attempt to push down on the area of application you will notice water coming from underneath the material.
Not a very good feeling at that point. So let it dry for 24 hours upon each light coat.
Just my thoughts on that.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
godd dan it 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2004 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  

In my car, there are some tight spots that might be hard to spray evenly. Could you use a brush to even it out if necessary? And what kind of brush would be suitable?

Thanks

falconey 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2004 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
also does this stuff get rid of rattles too? I thought this was just for road noise reduction?
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2004 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
If there are area's that are less than accessable, by spray. I would recommend that you also buy a can of rubberized sound deadner.
The reason being is that once you apply the material with a spray bottle it tends to cover the area very evenly. If you attempt to use any form of brush or applicator, it will simply smear. It simply does not have the same consistency as the brush on applicators.
Also to answer the other members Q. Yes the material will also reduce rattles as well.
Remember you can reduce sound by one of three methods or using a combination of the three.
1. Decoupling = Is to limit the ability of the sound to move from one medium to another. Decoupling will reduce midrange and bass sounds.
2. Deadening = The idea of deadening is to absorb the sound energy that goes through the vehicles fabrique or material(s) it is very effective at reducing low frequencies.
3. Increased mass = Requires more SPL or energy to move the greater weight / mass. but eliminate highs or treble tones.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic