icon

bridge wires?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Pass the Roc 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2004 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
hey i have 4 speakers at 4ohm each, and a 4 channel amp. Is it possible to bridge them all to the amp. i'm new to this stuff and dont really understand how to bridge. if someone could show me or teach me that would be helpfull?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2004 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  
If you have 4 speakers and a 4-channel amp, the simplest thing to do is connect one speaker to each amplifier channel.  Why do you think you need to "bridge" anything?  What is it you hope to accomplish? 
Support the12volt.com
Pass the Roc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2004 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  

can i bridge 2 of the speakers to get more power out of them then wire the other 2 to mu HU?

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 08, 2004 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
There is a reason why you should list the specs for the equipment you're asking questions about on here...so answers can be given.  Give the RMS rating of the amp, and the RMS rating of the speakers.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Pass the Roc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2004 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  

i have the MTX mxa4004 4 channel amp. it is 50wx4 at 4ohm   100w at 2 ohm and 200watt bridged at 4ohm   

my speakers are infinity with 100 RMS and 350 watt total , i was thinking if i could bridge these, or would they be over powered and blown.

i also have rockfords which are 75watt RMS which could hook up to the head unit.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 08, 2004 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

Bridging a speaker across two channels is the equivalent of running the amp at 2 ohms.  You notice how the power is doubled when the load goes from 4 ohm to 2 ohm. When you connect a 4 ohm load across 2 channels, it's each channel's output at a 2 ohm load.  That would be 200 watts into a 100 watt speaker.

You should never connect a speaker to an amp when it will get more power than what it is rated to get.  Especially that much more.  And you don't need to run that speaker with 100 watts for it to be loud.  50 clean watts is loud, and you have four of them.  I wouldn't suggest you run those speakers bridged in these circumstances...in fact, it would have to be a very compelling reason.  There's no reason.

The amp is bridgeable, and marketed like that, but you'll notice that they are referring to subwoofer bridging.  That is a different story altogether, and doesn't pertain to the mid and high range frequencies that your speakers have to reproduce clearly.  It is not uncommon to connect a 100 RMS speaker to a 50 watt source, and is done quite often, in fact.  The RMS of the speaker lets you know what it is capable of receiving all day long...but that doesn't mean it needs the 100 watts to play properly.

Connect the four speakers to the four-channel amp, adjust the gains, and enjoy your music.  If the rears seem a bit too loud, you can use your fader.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic