icon

Need Pioneer DEQ-9200 info

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dpaton 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2004 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
Specifically, the schematic of the analog input on the DEQ-9200. I'd also settle for an offline discussion with someone who has access to one. (no, I don't want anyone to steal and scan a copy for me). My local repair shop has screwed me to the tune of $125 in repairs, and I really need some ammo before I rip the tech a new a-hole. I design DSP gear for a living, so I'm not unqualified to work on or fix it, I just lack the information.
<insert primal scream here>
If I could find a Pioneer center I actually TRUSTED I'd never even think of asking.
-dave
This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.
Sebastian018 
Silver - Posts: 364
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2004 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
Go here for the nearest Pioneer Authorized Service Company
dpaton 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2004 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  
Sebastian018 wrote:
Go here for the nearest Pioneer Authorized Service Company
That's the first mistake I made. The second was paying by check instead of CC, so I can't dispute the repair in any financial way. FWIW, this was the most highly recommended service center for Pioneer by the local dealers.
I did find out that service manuals are available on some parts to the general public, over at pioneerparts.com, so I grabbed th eone I need. Should be here tomorrow, and then I can tell the tech exactly what he needs to replace in order not to make me any more displeased than I am. It really sucks when you have to do the tech's job for him. Grrrr.
<still mad but no longer primal scream mad>
-dave
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 09, 2004 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  

It also really sucks when you have customers who know more about your job than you do!  Take it easy on him, Dave.  He might spit in your soup when you're not looking.  ;)

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
dpaton 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2004 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

It also really sucks when you have customers who know more about your job than you do!  Take it easy on him, Dave.  He might spit in your soup when you're not looking.  ;)

For the record, I didn't actually go in guns blazing. I asked a few polite questions, watched him hook the unit up, and listened to the sound of silence eminating from all 3 pairs of RCAs. Then I left the bench area, and discussed my refund with the manager, in his private office. It was conducted with my best business front. I'm really a nice person in real life, I don't shout, or yell, or pound my fists, or even raise my voice. When I type, it's a little different. Blame it on the anonymity of the 'net. It frees up normal interpersonal inhabitions or something.
Reharding the guy who did the work, he's a great tech when it comes to diagnosis of most things and pretty much every repair possible. He's faster than I am at finding the bad transistor in a blown amplifier module, and he's worked on things long enough he knows where to look first, but when it comes to the really wierd stuff, he's lost. I don't blame him for not knowing, but I do blame both him and the shop for letting him working well outside his expertise, adn for returning an item as 'repaired' when the problem wasn't even proprtly diagnosed!
The issue, which I found this afternoon, is that somewhere along the line, the inputs of the -9200 saw real voltage, something north of +12, and it cooked the ADC that acts as the front end of the DSP. The way the chip failed, there was still a bitstream coming out of it, but it was all bogus and misformatted. It was a rela bitch of a failure to find, and I'd have missed it if I hadn't actually examined the output with a logic analyzer (which the shop doesn't have). The closest they could have come is that something was bad in the digital part of the board, and swapped it out.
The new ADC is coming tomorrow, and I've added Schotky clamp diodes to the +8 supply of the ADC, so that the input can never be overvoltaged, and so that the chip will continue to live a long and happy life.
<soapbox>
I know that manufacturers don't help the repair techs out much, and that most folks with real live degrees don't really want to become repair techs, but there's a place in between that is really empty, and in the modern age, we really need technically trained people to repair these high-bukc DSP gizmos, because there are a lot more owners without any clue than there are like me. Mostly I feel scared for the next schmuck who brings in something that the shop can't handle, but accepts anyway, and he's forced to being it back a couple of times, paying more each time, before it's finally scrapped and he replaces it.
</soapbox>
We now return you to your regularly scheduled mayhem.
-dave
mxxmikexx 
Silver - Posts: 796
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
will the 9200 work with a 4 volt input level?
dpaton 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
mxxmikexx wrote:
will the 9200 work with a 4 volt input level?
Just fine.
Incidentally, I found that from the factory, there are Schotky's on the inputs to protect them from overvotage (little teeny ones I didn't even notice). Unfortunately, mine were shot. That means that the voltage applied to the inputs was A) well above 12V and B) applied for a long time. This 9200 was abused. Thankfully it's in good shape now.
-dave

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic