icon

pinholes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stamper 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2004 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
First FG project and just shot the first coal of primer last night.  I have tons of pinholes, even though I have been filling and sanding all week!  Can I use filler over the primer, to fill the holes, then sand smooth,  or do I have to sand all the primer off, then fill the pinholes?  Thanks, Wayne
Stamper
JPWheelr 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2004 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  
Use a high build or filler primer, it should help with that.
93accordSE 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2004 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
To answer your question, you can put filler over primer, you just will sand it off when you sand the filler you added. And make sure to use a high build primer like JPWheelr suggested.
leftyrev 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2004 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  

depending on the size of your project you can also use a Resin and Body filler mixture one to one ratio works good depending on the thickness of the resin you are using . you want to make a mixture that you can pour onto the project . thin enough for it to cover it like a the red stuff on a candy apple , it will fill the pin holes and leave a nice surface for final sanding . just add  MEKP to it like the mixture was all resin . be aware that if you dont want the mixture to get all around the project like the speaker ring and sides and back  you may want to "paint " it on with a brush  where the pin holes are located ., then you can just fill the holes and sand those spots only .

small project like pods i pour,  large sub enclosures i brush only where needed . if you pour it,  it will be al lille messy and will leave drips of the mixture on the bottom of the project

jaymes 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2004 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
the best thing for pinholes is bondo spot putty. I got mine at canadian tire and its like a clay u work in.. most effective product i have used.. its only like 3 dollars canadian for a nice sized bottle. i was surprised.. good luck
leftyrev 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2004 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
lol sorry i didnt read the whole post you already primered it . i agree with JPWheelr , a high build primer will do the trick , dont be scare to cover the entire project with high build primer and it will take away those pin holes , sand and paint . remember high build primer is your Bestest Friend  lolol
davedyer79 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the responses.  My compressor just went to sh*^ and I can't talk the wife into letting me drop $600.00 bucks on a new one, so I will be using aresol primer and I guess testors paint.  Will the aresol filler primer be okay instead of a high build polyestor primer that I have found in previous posts?
davedyer79
dalmyd1 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
they have high build primer in aerosol cans from Napa

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic