icon

SVC or DVC

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
davedyer79 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  

What's everyone's opionion?  I have a Memphis 500D, 2 ohm stable.  Before I had 2 Memphis 10" single voice 4ohm.  Should I get the DVC 10"?  Is there a sound quality difference between single and dual voice coil speakers?  Also, how will I wire 2 DVC 4 ohm to a 2 ohm stable amp.  It cannot go to 1 ohm or the amp will clip.

Thanks, Wayne.

davedyer79
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
Not gonna happen dude. There should be no audable difference between the two types of subs. The difference is how they wire to any chosen amplifier. 2 dvc 4 ohm subs will yield only these possible combinations. 1 ohm, 4 ohm, 16 ohm. You are much better off with the single 4 ohm subs with the amp that you have.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
The only advantage a DVC has over a SVC is if you have only one sub. With a DVC you are able to wire it in parallel to drop the impedance in half. Other than that, stick with SVC's, they're easier to work with. SVC or DVC -- posted image.
Paul
12-volt_guy 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
Francious70 wrote:
The only advantage a DVC has over a SVC is if you have only one sub. With a DVC you are able to wire it in parallel to drop the impedance in half. Other than that, stick with SVC's, they're easier to work with. SVC or DVC -- posted image.
Paul

Might be good to add that you should NOT wire DVC woofers in parallel (4-Ohm each) if you're bridging an amplifier.  The amp will see a load half of the woofer, or 1-Ohm in this case.  You don't want to do that unless you have a very high-current amplifier.
12-volt_guy 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
davedyer79 wrote:
Also, how will I wire 2 DVC 4 ohm to a 2 ohm stable amp.  It cannot go to 1 ohm or the amp will clip.

Thanks, Wayne.

The answer to that is to wire each woofer with a short jumper between one coil's POS+ and the other coil's NEG- terminal.  Do this to both woofers.  Then wire the remaining terminals in parallel to the amp, both POS+ to POS+ and both NEG- to NEG-.  This will result in a 4-Ohm load on the amp.

davedyer79 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2004 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the responses.  I think I will stick with the SVC 10" subs.  The reason I asked is that I had a guy at a very well known car electronics store tell me that DVC's will sound like 2 subs if you use both coils, and I thought that sound a little far-fetched.  Maybe he was trying to sell me the DVC's so I would buy a new amp.  D*#$ those pushy saleman!!
davedyer79
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 13, 2004 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  

davedyer79 wrote:
I had a guy at a very well known car electronics store tell me that DVC's will sound like 2 subs if you use both coils,

He was probably just, in fact, an idiot.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
tbirdman74 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2004 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

He was probably just, in fact, an idiot.

AMEN Brother!

If it don't fit, Force it.
If it breaks, You needed a new one anyway!
padawan 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2004 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
You can also get two dual 2-ohm subs and wire them in series/parallel and get a 2-ohm final load to the amp...this will give u 250W rms per sub with your amp...
Subs like Kicker CompVRs would thrive off a setup like this...Dual 2-ohm compvr 10s have an rms rating of 300W rms, so giving them each 250W rms would be fine.
hurtado_roberto 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
The only reason for a DVC is for adaptability?  Will a 4ohm SVC sub sound the same as a 8ohm DVC sub from the same manufacture and series if wired at 4ohm?  Will it use the same amount of RMS watts?  Will the ratings be different a the different ohm loads?
Poly Dollies
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic