icon

one or two boxes?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
last night i was talking about my system with some friends and one of them said that i should put both subs into a sealed box instead of having seperate boxes for them. he said that sometims the subs will fire at different times and this can cause one sub to blow. i don't really believe him but i just wanted to get all of your thought, ideas, opinions, facts on the subject.
i'm making my own box(s) and i was looking at some on the web and even the dual sealed ones had a divider in them.
dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  
If you have 2 subs running mono from one amp, then single chamber will work fine. In any other situation, separate chambers should be used.
Good luck!
DXAV
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
I almost always seperate my subs unless they are a lower series sub like a JL wo    no matter sealed or vented I normaly devide chambers
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
so if i were going to bridge the amp then i would want a single chamber box?
what if i bought two of the same amp would that be better than running one big one bridged?
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  

hightek wrote:
so if i were going to bridge the amp then i would want a single chamber box?
what if i bought two of the same amp would that be better than running one big one bridged?

I don't think that is what they said.  I think they said:

If you don't bridge the amp then definitely use separate chambers.

If you do bridge the amp then a single chamber is O.K., but two chambers is optimal.

I totally agree with what they said, if for no reason other than two chambers will make the box more stiff and well braced.  

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
12-volt_guy 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
No two speakers are exactly alike, even if they are the same model.  Manufacturing processes just aren't perfect.  If you have two drivers in the same cavity, they are like to have slightly different characteristics and may affect each other's movement, resulting in some distortion.

This is the same reason they don't recommend a stereo amp configuration for two woofers in the same cavity;  amplifier channels are different too and you'd have a similar problem, not to mention that stereo signals are different anyway.  At least in a mono configuration, both woofers would get a more equal signal.

And the center divider tip probably is the best because enclosure rigidity is of utmost importance.
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
i know that two subs would definately sound louder than one but i'm worried about space and stuff after i shoved my model box in the trunk, it's huge. would it still sound alright putting one back there? i like to have the bump when i need but i also just like the little heart thumping you get when you turn it up. if i match a right amp to one sub is this still possible?
what i built smaller boxes and used polyfill?
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
so from what i'm gathering from 12-volt_guy is that it is better to have the subs wired in a mono configuration? i was thinking about having two seperate boxes? does this matter?
12-volt_guy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
hightek wrote:
so from what i'm gathering from 12-volt_guy is that it is better to have the subs wired in a mono configuration? i was thinking about having two seperate boxes? does this matter?

Two separate boxes are fine.  One "chamber", multiple woofers is what you should avoid, especially if not running mono.

Perhaps we should say "chamber" instead of "boxes", because a box is typically considered to be a unit, regardless of how many chambers it contains.
12-volt_guy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
Additional note:  When placing the woofer position in the box, do not center it in the box.  Move it close to a wall.  Centering drivers creates standing waves.

Also, if mounting two woofers in a single "box", it is best to mount them close together, like near the center divider.  This allows acoustic coupling and improves bass output.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic