icon

one or two boxes?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
alright, well now i'm thinking about buying one 10" sub. maybe an adire brahma or something that really hits. but what kind of amp would i match with that?
do you all think i should just go with what i already have or get the 10"? i'm trying to save some space in the trunk, it's a coupe so i'm already limited on space.
i also talked to a guy at a custom install place in my city and he said that if i got a red top battery then i would not have to worry about lights dimming or anything like that. is this true?
12-volt_guy 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
An amp of 150-200 watts RMS total should be plenty for nearly any situation other than competition.  Ever check out home subwoofers?  10" powered subs seldom have more than that and many times only about 75 and they generally fill up a large room quite nicely.  An amp of this size shouldn't make your lights dim, even without an extra battery.

I can't speak for your musical tastes, but some people are head bangers.  They want too much bass in their systems and don't know much about balanced sound.  I have had customers with 4 fifteens that would blow an amp or woofer and then try to say "I don't play it loud".  If you didn't, you wouldn't have 4 fifteens.
12-volt_guy 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
Hmm..  That profile thing said you could use forum codes in your sig.  Apparently not.

hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
so you're saying that even though the rms wattage for a 10" adire brahma II is like 400 an amp that pushes about 200 would be good?
as far as music tastes go i listen to everything from rap to rock to techno to R&B to oldies
so sometimes i like to turn it up and really listen to the bass hit, but usually i just like to have a little extra bass than is provided by 6x9s
mobile E 
Copper - Posts: 217
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  

what? the rms wattage for a brahma is like 400? Actually i think its 1600 , check the website man...

thanks

everything stolen :(
Workin on a new system :)
one or two boxes? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Peace in the middle east
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 12, 2004 at 4:19 AM / IP Logged  

The thermal power handling of a Brahma is 1600 watts.  But that does not mean that you need that much power.  You can easily reach the physical limits of the Brahma off of 700 watts in the right enclosure.  Also, you would be surprised at how loud a Brahma will get off of only 500 watts, even in a small sealed enclosure.  Based on what you are trying to do, I would suggest around that much power for you.

hightek wrote:
i also talked to a guy at a custom install place in my city and he said that if i got a red top battery then i would not have to worry about lights dimming or anything like that. is this true?

That isn't true.  The only thing a battery does is provide power to start your vehicle.  It does absolutely nothing except get charged back up when you are driving.  This is because the battery can only charge up to 12.6 volts as it has 6 2.1 volt cells.  The alternator runs at 14.4 volts and supplies the power while you drive.  Now if you draw too much current, then the voltage will drop till the current draw isn't too high.  This voltage drop is the cause of your head lights dimming.  Now if the voltage drops below 12.6 volts, then yes the battery will start supplying power.  But your voltage shouldn't drop down that low.  If it does, then you will need a larger alternator.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

94legend 
Silver - Posts: 237
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2004 at 5:43 AM / IP Logged  
12-volt_guy wrote:
Additional note:  When placing the woofer position in the box, do not center it in the box.  Move it close to a wall.  Centering drivers creates standing waves.

Also, if mounting two woofers in a single "box", it is best to mount them close together, like near the center divider.  This allows acoustic coupling and improves bass output.
Wow this is really useful THANKS this whole time i was wondering wut the hell is the sub doing all the way to left  / right of that box. ( the box was a ported/vented 15" sub)
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic