icon

system recomendations

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 2:37 AM / IP Logged  
i'm pretty sure i'm going with mb quart components up front and 6x9 in the back. i'll probably amp those (any suggestions?)
but my big problem is with the sub. i have 2 12" inifinity subs and built a model box for one of them. the box in huge and my dad recommended getting a smaller one maybe. i started looking at 10" ones and like the adire brahma II. i don't know much about these though. all i've heard is that they can hit, hard. what kind of amp would i need to puch it and is it worth the money and stuff to go with a brahma as opposed to something like a JL audio sub?
any suggestions about anything are more than appreciated
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 2:56 AM / IP Logged  

If you want a sub that uses a tiny enclosure, then the Brahma 10 is a great choice.  JL makes several different subs in several price ranges.  Which one were you looking at?

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
just a good point,    steven   how would you honestly rate the adire brahma aginst the w6v2 jl line or the w7 line....    just interested thinking about picking up some new names next year and I know no one has adire up here
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
i was either thinking about the jl audio 10w6v2 http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/10w6v2.html
or the adire brahma mark II http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~acoustic/products/subwoofer_drivers/adire_brahma/
i'm not quite sure as to go with a 10 or 12. any suggestions? i'm also wondering what kind of amp would be able to push these pretty well? considering how loud people say they have gotten i'm pretty sure i won't need 2 will i? i was thinking about this amp, but am not sure jbl gt601.1 http://www.jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=GTO601.1&ser=GTS&cat=AMP
i was sort of leaning towards the brahma just because i heard it can get really loud and is also a great speaker. but i'm wide open for suggestions.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  

For the front and rear speakers use an amp that has a rms rating of 50w x 4 @ 12 volts. Any more than this is going to be gravy. If you want more that's fine but most systems thrive with this much power. I swear that Stephen can literally smell the forums and when the word Adire or Bramha is mentioned he's all over it. I too am considering the line for next year. (Stephen - send me some CDN dealer info dude). If space is a concern for you consider also the MB Quart Ref series of subs. I was highly surprised by the output of a single dvc 10" in a 1.25 cu.ft. slot loaded enclosure. Played deep, sounded good and played to a great volume level. It would need a mono 2 ohm sub amp that has between 300 - 500w rms. Concept has a couple of great amplifiers in this realm, the CA604 and the CA525M. www.mbquart.com www.conceptconcept.com

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  

jeffchilcott wrote:
just a good point,    steven   how would you honestly rate the adire brahma aginst the w6v2 jl line or the w7 line....    just interested thinking about picking up some new names next year and I know no one has adire up here

Well I'm not too familiar with the W6v2.  I know that the old W6's parameters matched up perfectly with our Shiva, so they would perform the same.  But the v2 from what I understand has gone through some changes.

As for the Brahma and W7, they are very close.  Both use different motor technologies that both lower distortion, which put them at the very top in SQ IMO and many others.  Both also have very similar displacement capabilities, so output should be very similar.  The differences are that the Brahma is designed for a smaller enclosure, but is a little more inefficient.  The W7 has a great deal more suspension travel, meaning it will be harder to break.  The motor design in the W7 is somewhat flux inefficient which is why it has a higher Qts. for such a large motor.  This effects it's frequency response a little.  And finally, the inductance is a little higher on the W7 which will effect it's high frequency extention and transient response a little bit.

So what can we see from the above?  Well if you need a small box driver, then the Brahma might be a better choice.  But if you have a bit more room to spare, but don't have as much power, or like to abuse the driver a little bit without fear of breaking something, then the W7 might be a better choice.  But other than that, I truely think that they are the best performing subs on the market.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Steven Kephart 
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  

hightek wrote:
i'm not quite sure as to go with a 10 or 12. any suggestions?

That depends.  The 12 offers you 40% more cone area for a very small price jump, so I usually recomend going for it.  The 10 is best for people who want a lot of bass, great SQ, but need a very small enclosure (.5 cubic feet and down).  So if you can stand a 1 cubic foot enclosure, then go for the 12, but if you want the enclosure smaller then that, then the 10 would be a better choice.

hightek wrote:
i'm also wondering what kind of amp would be able to push these pretty well? considering how loud people say they have gotten i'm pretty sure i won't need 2 will i? i was thinking about this amp, but am not sure jbl gt601.1 http://www.jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=GTO601.1&ser=GTS&cat=AMP

The power you need will be determined by the enclosure used.  I ran for a long tome only 500 watts to my B10 and it got impressively loud.  In fact when I jumped up to 1200 watts, the output didn't jump up as high as I was expecting.  You can get very good results with that amp.  Around how loud do you want to get, 120dB, 130dB, 140dB plus?  To get a Brahma 10 to full excursion in a .5 cubic foot enclosure, you would need over a kilowatt.  But you don't need to get the driver to full excursion.  After all, then you are just taking the risk of breaking it.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Steven Kephart 
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:

I swear that Stephen can literally smell the forums and when the word Adire or Bramha is mentioned he's all over it. I too am considering the line for next year. (Stephen - send me some CDN dealer info dude).

Hehe.  I still want you to come down sometime and take a listen for yourself.  We have some pretty cool stuff to look at, including a very impressive home theater setup.  Just bring your favorite CD's.

As for the dealer part, I suggest waiting till the beginning of next year.  We are doing some major changes and won't have everything ready till then.  But I can have our sales guy contact you with more info if you would like.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  

hey steven, does Adire has a dealer in Albuquerque, NM???

as far as how loud i want to go i have no clue. i'm not wanting like competition sound, even though some say that the system i am putting together could almost be there. i just want something that hits when i want it to. every once and a while i like to turn it up and just thump. i built a 1.25 cubic foot box and it's alright in my trunk, but it's a little big for my liking. one reason i was attracted to the brahma was because of the box specs, they seem super small. by no means do i always want to be pushing the driver to the limit because i know how much harm it can put on the driver and it just stresses it. i want something that will have a little bump with the bass but doesn't over power the highs and stuff so people inside the car can't hear anything but bass, like i said though, every now and then i get the itch to crank it and thump down the street.

Steven Kephart 
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
hightek wrote:

hey steven, does Adire has a dealer in Albuquerque, NM???

It doesn't look like it.  But here's a link to our dealers page: http://www.adireaudio.com/TextPages/DealerListFrameText.htm

hightek wrote:
as far as how loud i want to go i have no clue. i'm not wanting like competition sound, even though some say that the system i am putting together could almost be there. i just want something that hits when i want it to. every once and a while i like to turn it up and just thump. i built a 1.25 cubic foot box and it's alright in my trunk, but it's a little big for my liking. one reason i was attracted to the brahma was because of the box specs, they seem super small. by no means do i always want to be pushing the driver to the limit because i know how much harm it can put on the driver and it just stresses it. i want something that will have a little bump with the bass but doesn't over power the highs and stuff so people inside the car can't hear anything but bass, like i said though, every now and then i get the itch to crank it and thump down the street.

Then as far as our products go, a B10 in a .5 cubic foot sealed enclosure and about 600 watts should do you just fine.  It will take you into the mid 130's fairly easily, and will have a tiny footprint.  Good luck with your decision.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic