icon

2002 jag x-type

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sordee 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2002 Jaguar x-type in our shop,  we are adding a sirius radio tuner to the stock radio.  we are having problems with background hiss and the fm siunds way better.  The unit we are using is an audiovox S.R.S it comes with a onboard fm mod it sounds really bad.  so tried wiring in a wired fm-mod and it sound better but it is about half the volume of the fm.  I have also turned the output on the sirius tuner all the way up.  Has anyone worked on these vehicles or have any info on these??  any info will help

Jason

12-volt_guy 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
I installed the first XM radio FM prototype as well as the first consumer XM system in the U.S.  What I have discovered with FM-mod systems is that you must be careful of two things:

1) If the antenna is electronically boosted, such as many late-model VWs,

2) And the adjacent channel selectivity of the radio.  This means, whatever frequency you want to broadcast the satellite unit on, try to get a channel that has NO bleedover from other stations.  You want a clean static sound.  The FM mod needs to be OFF when you check this.  In Los Angeles, it is difficult sometimes to find this because there are so many stations here.

Back to #1:  If you unplug the factory AM/FM antenna from the modulator, does the problem go away?  If so, it is the antenna causing the noise.  Satellite FM units switch antennas, from the AM/FM to the satellite antenna, and many of these boosted antennas fight for control of the switch.  This is the best way I can describe it.  Often you can just install a rubber duckie antenna under the dash somewhere and pick up decent FM.  It's not great, but most people paying for satellite aren't likely to use those free bands much.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic