< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Pass the Roc 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  

ok i have an MTX mxa4004 4 channel amp the specs are:

50Wx4 at 4 ohms

100wx4 at 2 ohms

So does this mean  if i make the speakers two ohms by wiring them together, i can hook up 8 speakers to this amp to get the full power out of it wich is 400 watts? I'm just not sure how to wire them to make them 2 ohms and if it can be done. because im looking to hook up 2 extra speakers to make 6.  So instead of each channel puttin 50 watts to one speaker, each channel would be putting out 100 watts devided between 2 speakers. is this correct?

astro88 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
you are correct,.. To hook up for a two ohm load check out the parallel and series calculaters to the left there, you want parallel for a 2 ohm load
Pass the Roc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
thanks just wanted to get that cleared up before i did something stupid.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  

Paralleling two pairs of speakers changes the ohm load from 4 to 2, so the amp will make more current.  What you are talking about is questionable....you want to double the number of speakers to make the amp give up all its power, but at a cost.  High and mid frequencies will very easily demonstrate the poor audio characteristics of running an amp at a 2 ohm load.  Where this is used often is with subwoofers, where the low sub freqs generally aren't affected by the amp producing more current.  But your speakers....not a good idea.  If you want that many speakers, use two amps.  But that would be stupid, too.

But you do have the gist of it, parallel wiring, halving the ohm load, and the amp responding with higher current.  Just think about what your objective is here before you go out and buy 4 more speakers just to push the amp harder.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Pass the Roc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
I am not planning on installinhg 8 speakers to take up all the amps power. i am just thinking of doing six, i will parallel wire my 6x9 speakers which will all be in the rear, and i am buying a new component set to go up front wich will not be parallel wired. so this will not effect the mids and highs correct. but will it effect the mids and highs of the 6x9's in the back which are paraelled wired much, like too much that will not sound good?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 12, 2004 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  

Well, all vehicles and applications are different, so I don't know what your incentive is to install that many rear speakers.  If it is a 15 passenger van, and you want to supply speakers for the boy scout troop on a trip...then I can see why you would want to do this....

But I'm betting you want to put in the four speakers in the rear because you happen to have them and found that there is room for them.  In an ideal soundstage, the fronts will reproduce the brunt of the music, with the rears filling in to the point where you actually don't hear them from the front seats.  They just pull the sound back a little from the front locations.  This means that the rears are set at a lower power than the fronts, usually by using the fader control.

By enabling two pair of rears at 2 ohm, you would be doubling the sound from the rear compared to the sound from the front.  And the rear sound would be suffering because the amp is providing a poorer quality output to them.

I can see this only if you have the rears set on low pass, and are using them for bass output only...such as in a case where there is no subwoofer in the system.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2004 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  

I 100% agree with everything stevdart said.  Focus your attention on making your main front speakers sound great.  Use at most 1pair of 6x9's in the back, at 4 ohms, to provide the rear fill stevdart was talking about.  Many of us don't even run rear speakers. 

You have a sub, right? 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Pass the Roc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2004 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
i dont have subs yet but i am getting some when i have enough money.  I just wanted to install the extra speakers becuase yes i have them, and i dont want the 6x9's up front because you  get much better SQ from a component set, and i have room to install them else where and just thought it would make my system louder and sound better.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2004 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
Louder maybe, I'd bet money that it wouldn't sound better.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic