icon

One sub moving more then other

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
air leak? dont forget about that. but as 94 legend said they might be outta phase. reverse the polarity on one sub, see if it makes a diff.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
djmoose 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, we really need to know how they're hooked up to the amp...check gain settings.

Also, use a DMM to actually check what ohms the subs are...I wouldn't be surprised if they accidently sold you a 4 and an 8 ohm insted of 2 4's or 8's. It might have been an error at the factory as well.

Check for an air leak.

Also, the easiest thing to do would be swich the wiring. If you do this and the same sub is not moving as much...then you KNOW it's a problem with the driver itself or the enclosure.

Tcole 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 7:25 AM / IP Logged  
I have run into the same problem in past, I was running 2 DVC subs. What happened is one of the Voice coils on one of the subs blew/malfunctioned which caused the impedence to change. So one sub was running with a 2 ohm load and one was running with a 4 ohm load. Which in turn would cause one sub to get less power.
Possibly this is what is happening. Swap your subs and see if the problem shows up with sub or the lead that feeds it.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
Each sub is 4 Ohm, DVC.  They are running off 2 seperate channels.  The amp is a class D if that makes a differance.  Their is one more thing I forgot.  Some water got into the side of the box that the less-moving sub is in.  This was right after I installed everything.  The inside of the box was damp and had some mildew on the bottom.  Their was a small amount of moisture on the magnet of the sub.  Only the bottom of the box got wet, and not enough to warp the MDF or anything. The culprit (a small hole in thte side of the trunk) has since been fixed with fiberglass and I made sure the sub and box were completly dry and mildew free before putting everything back together.  I should also mention that this happend about 2 months ago, and I just recently noticed the sub not moving as much.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
flip the channels, , see what happends.  This honestly should only take 5 min to diagnose
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
If you are using a mono class D amp, and if I haven't missed something along the way...it's a one-channel amp.  You would be using two sets of terminals that are paralleled inside the amp, making a 1 ohm load on the amp (if you have also paralleled the coils of the 4-ohm DVC's).  Is that what you wanted to do?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
djmoose 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  

pimpincavy wrote:
Each sub is 4 Ohm, DVC.  They are running off 2 seperate channels.

We need to know exactly how the speakers are hooked up before we can tell you anything. First of all, there isn't two seperate channels on that amp...second of all, how do you have each voice coil hooked up in relation to the one channel on the amp.

Finally, did you swap channels on the subs? simply swap the wiring from one sub to the other and see if the same sub is effected.

This is really all you have to do to figure out where the problem lies..like dude said...should take 5 min... 

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  
djmoose, you just reiterated what I said about it being one channel...and then you asked if he swapped channels (???).  What good will it do to switch the wires from the amp when they all originate from the same place, guys?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2004 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  
Yes it is a mono amp.  On each side of the sub their is a + and a -, I wired these together, + to +, - to - on each sub.  This is what the guy at the shop told me to do.  I think I will actually have time to do some testing today (been EXTREMLY busy lately)
djmoose 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2004 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  

stevdart wrote:
djmoose, you just reiterated what I said about it being one channel...and then you asked if he swapped channels (???).  What good will it do to switch the wires from the amp when they all originate from the same place, guys?

My bad on that...I wasn't thinking....however, now that I am...I guess that there COULD be a bad speaker wire maybe? Since it was working fine before...maybe dude screwed something down and damaged a speaker wire? Maybe one of the connections on a particular voice coil came off?

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic