icon

car off, still drawing power?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
tonight i went over to a friends house to listen to him n his band play, while i was there i had to follow one of my friends back to his place so he could drop off his truck, after that my car sat, with the keys out of the ignition for about 30-40mins, we could say 1hr just to be cautious.
when we were leaving, the car wouldnt even turn over, headlights werent even on. so between getting a vehicle to boost me and sitting around, i completely disconnected my amp from any power (aside from EQ RCA's to the amp). after about 10mins before we got it boosted, i drove around w/ my friends noticing my headlights would flicker, note i had turned the music off, but the EQ is always on i believe (no power button). we went and chilled for a bit in park, and i had turned my lights on and off a few times after having sat with the car revving for over 5minutes, after trying to turn the headlights on for the third time, my car just died, quit, and when i tried to start it, it wouldnt even turn over. took another 15mins till i got home after calling for a boost,, and now its sitting in the driveway with the charger on it.
My question is, what could cause a constent draw from the battery after the car is off, any possibilities would suffice, i'll look into anything.
my only guess is, maybe, the EQ when the car is off, but even that kinda baffles me, unless one of the wires on the eq either fell off or isnt making a solid connection, but i would hope the installer last friday installed it securely.
BTW - i've had my car running on and off listening to alot of tunes (hours apon hours since its been installed), after killing the battery one night after drinking and forgetting to turn the headlights off, other than that the car hasnt showed any problems at all ;/
ideas and suggestions would be most welcome, thanks.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
Not necessarily a power drain unless you've tested it.  Could be that the battery is just shot.  They lose a lot of (future) life when you let them go dead.  Keep all the wiring hooked up as you had it...buy and install a new battery and test amp flow with everything off.  There's a lotta drain on the car's electrical system when you put in a powerful sound system.  So you pay when you leave the headlights burning.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  
Could be a bad altenator as well, or at least a bad connection at the altenator that is causing it to not charge properly, I doubt its the stereo.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged  
yeh im hoping its neither the alt (replaced it a year+ before even touching the cars stereo), or the battery, but if im willing to pay out the ass for sound equipment i best be ready to pay for the juice to keep the tunes goin too.
i've let the car sit overnight on the charger so if its shot to hell today i'll look @ a new battery and see if anything changes.
Thanks guys
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  

If your car just died on you when you turned the lights on it sounds like you have a weak alternator.  With your car running disconnect your negative battery post.  Most of the time your car will kills if your alternator is weak since a car runs utilizing your alternator as well as your battery. 

chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  

You could also just bring the battery and/or alt. to just about any parts store and have them test it for you. They'll be more than happy to if it means selling you a new part!

BTW - How big is your alt. and how many watts is your system?

You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  

that happend to me, , its what happends when your alt dies.   You get a boost and your good to run for 15-20 min with no accessories on since it takes nothing to run the computer, , ,but once you turn the air, or the light on it takes everything left in the battery and leaves nothing for the computer so your car dies.  I can almost guarantee that your stereo was too much for the little alt and it probably blew from heat.

Don't do the pulling the (-) trick that fuseblower suggested, , you cannot do it on todays vehicles without 95% risk of damage to the computer system.   It was a good trick back in the day before electronics ran out vehicles.  If you said that to a mechanic nowadays he'd slap you silly, , , not to mention you'd prolly fry your deck, and amps in the process.   Just simply bring your battery in to get checked, and bring your car in to get load tested.   Those are you 2 least expensive avenues.   Iv gone through it hundreds of times for customers and my vehicles.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  
Make sure the damn terminals are tight on the battery and the battery to chassis connection. If they are fine, my bet is a bad battery or an alternator on it's way to the old parts home in the sky.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  

yup, always check the easy, things first, ,  there usually the dumb things you would never think of.

If you battery has lots of powder around the terminals clean them up and put sum dielectric grease to prevent more corosion.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
if you have a dmm. you can check to see if your alt is putting out any juice at all
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic