Viper Responder Acting Screw-y

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Edicius 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  
OK...this is going to be long...
I have a viper responder and it worked fine until a couple months ago when it started not working the first time I would hit the buttons. It happened for ever function(arm, unarm, remote start, window control, etc.) The alarm worked fine but it was like it didn't realize that the remote was talking to it. It was faine until a few weeks ago when it got really bad. It would just not work until I hit it like 50 times or so, over and over and over, then finally it would work. Once it "woke up" it was fine for a few minutes until I stopped using it and then it would take a while to "wake up" again. I took it to my friend that works at acar audio shop and he reprogrammed the remote to the brain and it worked fine for a few days. Now it is even worse, I switched off the alarm through the valet switch (i think that's what it is called) in the glove box and now I am just using it for a keyless entry and remote start when it actually works, because if I arm it there is no garuantee that it wil unarm and I will be stranded. Please help.
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
If you havent checked the basics first, look into the following things.
Varify the voltage in the remote control, should be above 12 volts.
The two clips that contact the top and bottom of the battery, inspect the solder connections. Many of the units have very poor soldering joints, simply reflow the joints.
Inspect all ground points in the alarm system. Meaning you actually have to tug and pull the lines. Ensure all screws / bolts are firmly secured for the grounding points.
Inspect the antenna and its placement. Ensure it is free of any metal within 1-3" . Varify that the antenna wire length is not coiled, bent, or running along any power lines, or RF equipment and HVAC.
Reset the alarm CPU by removing power for at least 2 minutes. Upon power up, do a distance check with the remote. As you stand 50 feet from the vehicle, use all functions and have someone trip the alarm to ensure page back is consistent.
If the alarm has code hopping, turn it off to see if the communication improves / range.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  

as long as you have a key for the vehicle and a valet switch, you'll never be stranded....

i would suggest either checking your grounds or try programming a new remote to the system.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Edicius 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
How will I not be stranded?
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
open the door, turn the ignition on and hit the valet button to disarm the alarm. the alarm still goes off but you can still get in and drive off.
other than that, unplug the antenna at both ends and plug it back in. that fixes some cases.
MECP certified installer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic