icon

Is 3 layers of glass good ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bndallas 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  
I'm doing my first fiberglass box and I was wondering if 3 layers of fiberglass is good enough for  2  8" rockford fosgates?
Project GT 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 1:49 AM / IP Logged  
should be, alot of people use the rule of if it's strong enough to stand on it, and slightly bounce a little, and doesn't flex or anything it's strong enough
[IMG]http://webpages.charter.net/turbokl/pnwavatar.jpg" height=80>
leftyrev 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged  
3 layers of what weight fibreglass ? the thicker the fibreglass the less layers you have to put on .
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah don't be cheap like me haha.  Im pretty sure you're using 1.5 oz mat (common).  If so, I think anywhere from 4-6 layers is good, you dont have to go crazy cause theyre probably wont be too much flex since you will have the tire well behing is as reinforcement around and behind it.
Im a fiberglass whore!!
HottAccord 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  

Oops I may have mixed this post with another...there's no mention of using a tirewell in this post haha

Anyway, stand alone box, 5 layers wouldnt hurt but since youre using 8 inch subs, 4 should be fine.

Good luck!

Im a fiberglass whore!!
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
I've used as little as 3 layers for a single 10, it's not recomended but I had a lot of curves so it got really strong really fast. I'd suggest 4-6 like Accord said if u have longer flat surfaces or when u put the 3 layers down it still flexs.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
bndallas 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the info guys.oh  yeah on the rule of thumb that if its strong enough to stand on  and flex a little, well what if your a 230lb + guy?lmao. Like hottacord wrote I think its 1.5 oz  fiberglass mat I want to say andi think I'll add 2 more for good measure.
HottAccord 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
haha I weigh about 225 lbs and I still havent dared to stand on any of my fiberglass projects in fear I might have to start all over again and say bye to all the $$ I put into the project!
Im a fiberglass whore!!
satfrk32 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
this is prolly going to be a really stupid question. but how much $$ are you using for this project? Just for the mdf wood + fiberglass. thanks
bndallas 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
Well I dont know if you were asking hottaccord or me but you need a little more than that I do know.You need tape, foil ,gloves, brushes,hot glue gun or stapler fiber glass [$10 to $30 ]the mat, the fleece some dowl rods or some type of support for the mdf rings, maybe some screws glazing putty[ around$25] primer, paint, or carpet. ect. Oh yeah and time.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic