Where to get thicker mat?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  

Where to get thicker mat?

Ok every site I go to they all sell 1.5 oz fiberglass strand mat.

US Composites sells 2oz mat.  I want to know where I can get heavier mat to shorten the thickening process.  In the DVD I bought, the guy was using 6 oz fiberglass and her only used 1 layer, this is what I'd love to to do to cut the time in half.

Also, where do most of you purchase your fiberglass resin from?  I went to 2 Home Depots yesterday and I was pissed to find out they never re-stocked.  I believe I bought the last can from the last one I went to about a month ago, bastards!!

Average price of resin:  $25?

Thanks...

Im a fiberglass whore!!
JPWheelr 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
Find a real fiberglass supplier or a real autopaints store or a real boat repair/building operation in your town. Resin from any auto or hardware store is usually on its way out (it's crap to begin with, FG does have a shelf life) and it is relatively expensive; the MEKP is super cheap from my local supplier in Saint Louis here (8oz bottle for a couple bucks - enough to do five gallons)
You wont have to pay hazmat or crazy shipping, and you can get real tools like barrel and hog rollers for laying it up properly.
6oz mat is cool stuff, used it to lay up a spare tire well box in one pass, pretty solid too - kind of hard to impregnate, but once going, fine
leftyrev 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  

are you sure it wasnt fiberglass cloth ?

HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2004 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
leftyrev wrote:

are you sure it wasnt fiberglass cloth ?

< language=>postamble();

Nope definitely strand mat, anyway I went ahead and ordered a couple of yards of 2 oz mat today from US Composites.  Im fiberglassing everything I see haha

Im a fiberglass whore!!
jbrew 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
 try this site,   www.fiberglast.com    or     www.fiberglasswarehouse.com     got this from the mera knowledgefest back in march, ADV. FAB.  course was by Mark Fukuda & RTTI it was very informative. lots of useful websites for diffrent types of stuff.  if i can help with any thing else just let me know.
civicdetailer 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
let me guess... you bought the glassworkz dvd? i just got it also, and saw that they used 6 oz. mat and i was wondering myself where to get it.
leftyrev 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  

hey wich DVD did you get from Glassworkz . i got   v 4.1 last summer didnt help me a bit . is the newer version better than  4.1  ?  i picked up a couple of DVD's from Caraudiohelp.com and they were verry informative starts with the basics tools you need and the projects he covers and detail he gives you help for more advanced projects . they also garantee it.

let me know about the Glassworkz DVD . like to know if  v 5 is worth it

civicdetailer 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 6:10 AM / IP Logged  
yeah i got the version 5.1 or whatever it is. its alright. most of it i already knew.. and some of the things they did made no sense to me. when they built the enclosure, they hold the ring in place with a piece of a 2x4. then when its done, they take out the 2x4 piece and there is no support for the speaker ring, except for the fiberglass. but i did liek the way they show you how to use durmaix and mold screens and stuff into the dash.
PopcornPlaya 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  

http://www.selectproducts.com

They have the mat, and resin, I lke their Surfboard resin, it's clear, as opposed to the amber color of the crap you can buy at hardware stores.

leftyrev 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  
sint surfboard resin have a waxing coat or a gel coat of some kind , im not sure .  any way im sure it being clear would make it harder to see where the fibreglass is saturated ,
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic