the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

ssr + logic

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
triutto 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
can anyone show me how I can use a momentery N.O switch to open a 12vdc 10 amp ckt. so I have a motorcycle with a N.O switch in the handle bar. I want to push the switch and open the ignition ckt.the ignition ckt is 12vdc.I turn on the bike and start the engine .I want to psh the existing N.O button To stop the bike .I need a ggo idea,that is not too expencive .We now have to reach down to shut the engine off with the key.the bike was origanily fitted with a points system.and all we did was push the button and it would ground the system and it shut the engine off  thanks jim
its_radio_shop 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  

You can use a standard relay to do this.  Get yourslef a standard SPDT relay like those shown on this site. You can get them in automotive stores but if your not sure just go to a car stereo install shop and ask for a SPDT relay...it will have 5 terminals on it. Wire it like this...

Find the wire you want to interupt, I will use example of ignition coil

Cut ignition coil wire (shows +12V when key is on only)

Connect ends of wire you just cut to relay. One end goes to pin 87a and the other to pin 30.

Connect pin 85 to known constant +12v source.

Connect pin 86 to wire from switch.

connect other wire from switch to chassis ground

When running or starting etc. the coil will always be connected as if it was still hooked up original. When you press buitton it will open relay causing ignition coil to be disconnected. This method uses the normally closed contacts of the relay which is nice because if relay fails it should still start/run fine, just wont shutdown with button so you would have to shut it down with same method you use now. Good luck!

triutto 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you !! the reason why I wanted to go for a ,SOLID STATE relay is because of vibration and moisture .The relay will be mounted in the headlight .There will be moisture and much Vibration.I want to try and get away from having the bike shut off when I hit a bump .If the relay is N.C.It has to be energized to open dosent a spring hold it closed ? and if it does I can get an encapsulated one . Would trust a 12volt relay not to bounce open ?  thank you jim
its_radio_shop 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
Yes a spring holds it closed. When the relay is closed with this spring holding it closed, you need not worry about having a bump cause it to open the contacts. If you hit a bump hard enough to cause the contacts to open, your impending funeral would be of more concern than the relay....what I am getting at here is, it would take more impact than you could ever cause on your motorcycle to cause that situation, and if you did you wont be here to talk about it =) Yes you can buy these in a weather proof sealed case and I have installed hundreds of these in engine compartments, behind headlight, tail lights, etc. and never had any problems. If your still concerned about the opening contacts wire the relay normally open. The coil will hold the contacts even more solid than the spring.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic