icon

Need info on powering components

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Quiqsv6 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I'm starting to map out how i'm gonna hook up my A/V equiptment. I pretty much have an idea on how everything is gonna be connected but my only problem now is power. I'm a little electrically challenged so I'm looking for some help regarding wiring, fuses, and such. First let me tell you what I'm gonna be running and how..

3 -  7.2 in LCD screens which run about 7watts

1 - A/V switcher that will allow each monitor to view a source independantly from the others. Think the specs on this said it runs about 3watts
1 - Digital FM hardwired modulator. Think this runs about 3-5 watts.
1 - IR transmiiter for wireless headphones. This also is probably around 3-5watts.
1 - Tv tuner, about 5 watts.
1 - Portable DVD player (this I'm actually gonna run from the 12v in the middle glove box between the seats)
1 - PS2. For this I want to setup a power inverter with 2 outlets. Not sure on the wattage of the inverter I'm going with yet.

Now I found out through some research that my best bet would be to run a distribution block. It seems that I found one that has fuses and allows you to ground from it as well. Question is what gauge wires would I use, what wires would I connect to what, and what fuses would I use for each component if any??

Here's the distribution block I'm looking to use and it's specs

[img]http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2002/211/h211CBR44A-blue_dm.jpeg[/img]
Streetwires CBR44A Combo Fused Distribution Block is an ideal power distribution solution for anyone who needs efficient, protected power transfer to multiple amplifiers (up to four), and who wants a clean, high-profile look to their installation.

"Connect a power cable from your battery to the set-screw input — the Power Ring® input accepts any gauge cable. Then run power cables and ground cables from up to four amplifiers to the compact, machined-brass block. The positive and negative outputs accept 4-gauge or 8-gauge cables. Finally, run a single ground wire (any gauge into the Power Ring® input) out to a bolt on your chassis, or back to the negative terminal on your battery.

The Combo Fused distribution block has a highly-conductive, corrosion-resistant Diamond Plate Nickel finish with gold details for premium power transfer with minimal voltage loss, and show-quality appearance. (You will need to purchase separately AGU fuses for your amplifiers, as well as a pair of power rings.)"

Any help would be appreciated

Dutchtouch 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  

Ok man first things first.

The specs that you should be looking at are Amperage (amps) consumption, not Wattage (Watts).  Wattage is used for discribing output power or power handling, such as with an Amplifier, Head unit or Speakers.

What you need to know is how much power is all this stuff going to draw from the battery or any wire you tie into.  Go back and look at the specs for your products and post the Amps that each product draws.  This will make things easier.

I looked at your link for the power/ground distribution block you are looking at picking up and it looks good.

You need to know the total combined draw of all your toys, so you know what guage wire to run from the battery to the fuse block and what to fuse each product for.  Also don't forget to fuse this wire within  1-2 feet of the battery with an inline fuse to protect the car, the fuses in your fuse block will only protect the toys.

Hope this helps,

Dutch

First Class M.E.C.P. Certified & 310K Licensed
Electronic Installer
Quiqsv6 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks, I'll try and get all that info later. I'm buying the parts for my system piece by piece. So far I only have the A/V switcher. Next up will probably be the FM Modulator and screens. Once I get all the components I'll read the specs on them and post all the amps/draw that they will have.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic