icon

What do you guys suggest about DIY?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
Being a pro installer..... My suggestions...
#1 - when it comes to alarms....NO DIY NO NO NO I install every day and it's ALMOST second nature. BUT!!... I know how to use a multi-meter I have technical information on the vehicle. I know what wires i'm looking for an where to find them. Alarms are HAAARD to install if your a beginner. A pro will not only install it for you properly but he will make it clean. And he won't put your car in danger of smoking or blowing something. Leave it to a pro.
#2 - I live in socal I own a convertable I leave my top down with no prox sensor. I have an alpine phantom face deck with Infinity components. I leave the top down all the time..... Park smart!
#3 - Get your alarm installed by a pro... oh i said that
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
xtremeaudio 
Copper - Posts: 174
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  

here the installation guide this one will be a lot better than the come with compustar alarm this installtion guide for  authorized dealer use

http://www.compustar.org/support/manuals/install_manuals/CM3300_install_manual.pdf

mrbean01 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 3:21 AM / IP Logged  

I'm definitely not a pro, but you don't have to be a pro to know how to use a multimeter or have technical info on your car.  Anyone can learn to use a meter, and you can get a factory service manual for your car off ebay.  Most pro installation instructions will tell you how to find the majority of the wires you'll need.  Like this one.  Other than that, just take the time to learn to read the manual, get to know your car's wiring, and get comfortable taking panels off your car.

It's not that hard to do the install yourself.  The actual logic and theory behind an alarm install is quite simple.  I've done 3 so far, in increasing complexity.  The first was a clifford arrow 5 salvaged from a wreck.  It was supposed to have been "professionally" installed, but they took the same shortcuts most newbs did: t-taps, uncovered wires, accessible brain, etc.  I had no instructions and no knowledge of electronics.  Was mine a professional install?  Definitely not.  But its fully functional and, I must say, at least as good a job as the previous car.

For a clean install, you gotta RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH.  Make sure you disconnect the battery, especially if you have airbags.  Know where you want to mount the brain, and where you want to run your wires, before you start attaching anything.  It means probably taking off the entire dash, so you can run your wires high and mount the brain out of reach and sight.  Use tubing to cover your wires, and tape them shut.  If possible, try to open up your car's existing wire harness, run your alarm wires in with it, and reseal the harness.  Don't leave wires dangling, uncovered, or zip-tied in a big cluster.  Those are all big signs that a thief can use to find the brain.

When mounting your siren, do it in an out of the way, hard to see, hard to reach spot.  Cover and disguise your wiring, and make everything as low key as possible.  Find a good grommet to pass wires through the firewall into the passengers compartment.

Lastly, you gotta be patient.  Don't rush.  Take the time to get to those hard to reach spots to mount the brain and run your wires.  The harder a time you have, the harder a time a thief will.

Anyways, I hope some of this helps.  Take it from one DIYer to another.  It's hard, but definitely not impossible.  You will learn a lot about your car, and if you do a good job, you can be assured of the quality and security you're getting.

tgctruly 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 5:18 AM / IP Logged  
Definitely what I thought and welling to do.  After I install the car audio, I am really happy about the stuff I am using now, feel like to be in my ride with everything coming out of my own hands!  Definitly learn much there and I am also welling to help others who's going to do the stuff I learned, what can I say about it, I think achievement is the right word for that about diy.  I find out I love those stuff I made more than others did it for me.  Tks alot for the advice, I really appreciate it.  Guess you will see my post about help the alarm install in next week or so.  Tks again!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic