icon

Loudest sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
12-volt_guy 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  
I used to have in my store a HiFonics Zeus amp (1000 watts bridged) running a Fane Acoustics 24" sub with a 380-oz. magnet in a 14 cubic foot enclosure.  I seem to remember the acoustic texture falling like snow from the ceiling when we cranked it.  You mean loud like that?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
If you want it REALLY loud, and you are looking for a one note wonder, then the P-Audio S18-100LF should be your man. JBL speakershop sez 138dB@500 watts@97Hz, in 340 Litres with a 7.75D by 5.5L vent, with a which should set you somewhere around 141dB... sh*te! That's freakin' LOUD, and it is an ALL DAY LONG note... this is without even stressing it thermally! It would sound like crap, but there is an answer, without skirting anything.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
thank you 12 volt and haemphyst. thats what i was looking for. i didnt think this would be a difficult subject. all im askin, is, if you had a 1000 watt amp, which sub would u put to it to get the most bass (yes, that means SPL). not that hard. but i forgot who mentioned it, but where can i get the specs on that parthenon? i lost the link.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  

thapimpfromchi wrote:
thank you 12 volt and haemphyst. thats what i was looking for. i didnt think this would be a difficult subject. all im askin, is, if you had a 1000 watt amp, which sub would u put to it to get the most bass (yes, that means SPL). not that hard. but i forgot who mentioned it, but where can i get the specs on that parthenon? i lost the link.

Here you go: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Dan/Parthenon/

BTW, you still haven't answered my question to give you the best answer.  Are you looking to go as loud as possible at one frequency (as in for SPL competitions), or is this more of a daily driver install?

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

thapimpfromchi 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
sorry, i forgot about that one. Every day use would be preferred. this was more of a survey than anything. I have a honda civic hatchback with plenty of room behind me but I only want one sub. 1000 watts. So, i was just wondering what kinda sub would be the best (loudest) for the amp.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  

In that case I would recomend looking for a driver with a great deal of linear excursion (Xmax).  But you have to be careful about this as there are some companies who rate their Xmax differently than others.  Is enclosure size an issue?  Do you want it to sound good?  What kind of music do you listen to?

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio 

heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 1:39 AM / IP Logged  

If you are experiencing frustration over the replies you are getting it is because your question is absurd.  There is NO answer, its to subjective, your not specific enough, you don’t have all that much room, and I doubt you can afford some of the suggestions made to you.  So what’s the point? There is always something bigger, something louder, something better.  Your question should be more focused and give real world requirements.  You say you want pure SPL, then you want something that would be more of a daily driver; ie sq.

The question is like asking, "what is the best car for racing".  I don’t know.  A funny car. well unless you want to turn the damn thing.  One of those nascar cars?  maybe if im going to make left hand turns on slanted tracks all day.  Maybe rally cars like a WRX or Lancer?  hell yeah!  but i bet those F1's can smoke em on tight turns and pavement.  Without defining a purpose it’s an open-ended question.

thapimpfromchi 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  

its not that open ended if u read it. 1000 watts. 1 sub. what would be the loudest. just from past experiences or whatnot, i dont see how its so difficult.

Kicker CVR 18" in 5 cu. ft ported box.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ simple answer. thats all im lookin for. (that was an example), and about the money, i can afford all except the parthenon right now because i am buying a new car soon. for winter.

1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
thapimpfromchi 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  
oh, and the best car for racing, all around car, i'd have to say the R34 Skyline GTR
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
How bout the tempest in that horn box you guys made steve.  That'll be loud!
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic