icon

oppinion needed

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
Hey just wanted a second thought.  I've got an Infinity Kappa 10 svc in my car now.  It hits good and sounds nice but i'm lookin for something more.  Looked into JL Audio and then on a second thought looked at just putting another 10 kappa in.  What do you guys think?  I'll be makin a custom fiberglass enclosure for it.  And as for most of us normal working class people money is an issue so I can be goin extreme....yet.  Also I know most ports are either pvc or a vent made of mdf.  Would something flexable like a rubber tube w/ appropriate length and diameter suffice incase i don't have the length to put in a streight piece of pvc?  Just curious.  Thanks
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
First off, what kinda JL are you looking at because that is going to change the answer signifigantly. Second, rubber tube is a no no because the port cant be changing shape or it will change the sound. Look into JL aero ports if you need a flexible tube. You can also use PCV pipe with an elbow, or multiple ports to get the desired frequency, but no condom ports.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
boxmaker85 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  

For the JL's probably the W3 (10")  one maybe two.  If I get the money maybe a W6v2 (one 10").  If I go with the Infinity's I might get two on top of the one I already have (three total).  Like I said probably.  Just throwin' up ideas.  Thanks

heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  

Any reason your sticking with 10's?  Both those JL's are great subs, the Kappa's are nothing to sneeze at either.

boxmaker85 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

No perticular reasons.  I like how 10"s hit, sometimes tighter than 12" or 13" or 15".  I've been told that I might want to concider 12"s, but normally the 12 doesn't handle THAT much more power than a 10 and I like pullin up and a guy thinks I got like 2 12" or a 15" and I got one or two 10".   Know what I mean?  ; )

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  

what kinda amp are you using right now and are you planning on upgrading it as well?

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
boxmaker85 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
Got a Kenwood right now pushin 150 x 2. Honestly it sucks.  I'd say it may put out 75 x 2 without distorting my sub.  It's clippin it I think so I've disconected it for now until I figure out what I'm goin to do.  Yeah I'll be gettin a new amp (MTX, JBL, Alpine, Polk, just something that's mono sub and provides adequate power).  Also should I get a cap to go with my system?   Will it do anything for it?
ice4life8269 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 8:03 AM / IP Logged  
yes a cap will help, but it might be overkill if you aren't puching alot of power. it deffinately wouldn't hurt to get one, and if you get one, get a bat cap, don't mess around and get one of those round ones. those kind are only good for preventing you lights from dimming
boxmaker85 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  

What is the definition of "a lot of power"?  Like 500w or 1000 w?  And a bat cap as in an Optima battery or just a really large battery looking cap?

BTW thanks for all the info.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2004 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  

Throw the cap idea out the window. A cap does not make power, it stores and consumes it. The best thing that you can do to increase the amount of current is to use ac lampcord for speaker wire, it must be made by Nomo.....haha...... ( no crap I saw this yesterday - from the "best" shop in Quebec City, Ontario) Actually, concentrate first on making the current transfer from battery to amplifier as efficient as possible. Upgrade all the main grounds from the battery to as large a guage as your budget can afford. A good size wire for most moderate systems is 4 gauge. Do the ground wires from battery to chassis, battery to alternator and amp to chassis. The ground wire is your most important wire in the system, it will make or break the capabilities of it. IF this solves the lighting issues, great, if not consider a good Optima yellow top battery.

You can use that Kenmore amplifier for now, there is nothing wrong with underpowering a sub as long as the sub is not seeing a clipped signal (discalimer - some subs can infact hang in for a hella long time playing a clipped signal but it is still not good). Turn the gain down on the amp to ensure that you are not clipping. Driftwood in my opinion is the king of misleading power ratings, what is the size of the fuse in your amp?

As far as the sub system goes, your car will not be acoustically conductive to running two subs. This is based on the coefficient of the ratio of ohm's law and the fact that the PNP transistors in the radio can not provide enough current to charge the flux capacitors in the amplfiers power supply.  If you already have one 10" sub, match a second sub to it. Keep your sub and add a identical one to it. This is going to add another 3 db of output and will thoroughly enhance the "depth" and "impact" in your music. Next it is all box, box, box, box, box. Nail that box bang on for these subs and even with a little amount of power, it will deliver. Of course it will deliver much better with a appropriate amplifier but we can talk more about an amplifier later on. Liek Ravernderat said, don't use a flexible port. Use either a proper aero port or mdf slot port for your box. Box, box, box, box, box is wher it's at. Pour your time into box design first and base it on two subs with separate chambers. This way the box is ready for when you upgrade and add the second sub.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic