icon

Gain Setting on Amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mrdragon 
Copper - Posts: 121
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
Guys i got a Kicker 12" rated 125WRMS @ 4 Ohms, and an amp i can BRIDGED to 125WRMS into 4 Ohms as well.
Is this how i calculate to set the amp gain...
125WRMS x 4 = 500
Square Root of 500 is = 22.36
So is that how i should set the gain on the amp to 22.36 if i go over 22.36 i risk damaging the sub right since it's rated @ 125WRMS???
Cheers:)
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  

You are correct!  Give that man a cigar...

And when you're all done with the adjustments and have had some time to listen to your different music sources for awhile at full volume...if you notice something wrong with the sound at the high volume levels...then you can turn the amp's gain back a hair.  Sometimes amplifiers aren't quite what they are spec'd to be, and it is in the sound that you would notice that.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
mrdragon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
But the thing is the amp gain setting is not even reach 1/4, beside from that it's not loud at all, is that mean my amp is underated in term of real RMS power??
Lastly the recommended box for this sub is 1.75 cu (ported) Is that the minimum i need to build the box, i want to save some space and just wondering if i could make it smaller (ported)sub???
Cya
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  

The thing to know about amp gain setting is this... it doesn't matter where it ends up, 1/16 of a turn, 1/8, 1/4...whatever it ends up.  The gain is adjusted to the:

1.  Output of the amp, or

2.  RMS of the speaker(s) connected to it, if less than the output of the amp. 

That does not mean anything about the amp being either overrated or underrated...it is just an adjustment of amp sensitivity to head unit output.  Seriously.  Don't even pay attention to the knob's relative position when you are done adjusting.  Don't even look at it.  It's not important.

It's not "loud at all" because...you guess.  125 watts.  You've been around long enough to know subs are usually provided more power than that if you want "loud".  Just read some of the posts on the forum here.  But that is what you got, so that is what you get.

If you need a smaller box you should look at building it as a sealed instead of ported.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
you could also play with dimensions of a sealed box, to allow more headroom in the trunk, or more space in any which way, so long as there is at least 1" of wood around the edge of the cut for the sub to be placed in, and i read 3/4" for a specific sub someone was helping another person with, but i would say 1" as well. 1.75cu could allow you some various shapes and sizes.
also - to add to making the box smaller, maybe stev can correct me, or anyone with more knowledge about it than i. but Polyfill should allow you to create a smaller box then what was recommended. im going to take a stab and say this will be the first box you'll make. unless your adept in the carpentry skills, you may want to consider a sealed box anyways, it would relieve you of make having to design a 'quality' port for the box, which is more than just a hole and a pringles tube stuck in it. (love that analogy)
so witha sealed box, and every wall covered in 1" of polyfill, you should beable to cut down the recommended size of your box (which was specified to be ported) enough to meet your needs.
if im wrong about the polyfill let me know.
stevdart 
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  

Nothing to correct there, IMO, /r7...and I like that Pringles thing too.  The only reason I would say stick with ported in this case is the very little bit of power the amp has to offer.  You would get a little more out of the power with ported.  But polyfil wont do you any good here.  Ultimately, when you are able to upgrade:   get more power, a more apt sub, and use sealed for the enclosure.  You'll take up less space.  Meantime, like /r7 said above, the box can be oddly shaped to fit the car best and take up minimal space.

But how is it you know how loud this amp/sub is when the box isn't built yet?

mrdragon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  
Ok for now i think i am going to build a sub and run wat i got at the moment. Does it matter where u place the ported? does it have to be on the same size as the sub?
Cheers:)
/r7 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
heres a couple links to take a read through, i havent used either my self, but i've found great use of other tutorials from JLaudio's website
[QUOTE]
Ports
Covers the basics of duct/slot port construction and round port calculations including multiple port calculations.
Designing subwoofer enclosures     
This tutorial concerns itself only with the physical construction of the enclosure and discusses enclosure shape, materials, bracing, strength and sealing. [/QUOTE]
hope that explains a bit :-)
btw read up about the bracing, that will help you out too.
GL
EDIT: the 2 urls and descripts are ripped from the JL website, not taking any credit for writing that ;p
mrdragon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
Ok one last question do i really need 6x9 at the back if i got a 12" sub, 4" at the front plus a tweeter?
/r7 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
4" is the only mid bass?
you may want some rear fill for the lower mid-bass i dont know how low the 4's can go, but im sure the 6x9 would offer more. i would say leave the 6x9's unless you get enough midbass the 4's, if your heavily relying on alot from your 6x9's right now, then you may want to lean towards keeping them.
thats an option. may just want to replace the fronts with something bigger if its an option you can take,
or leave them, if you cant make your 6x9's work with your 12" when you get it put in, disconnect them from the HU, saves having to take them out of their place, unless you plan on changing them.
hth

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic