icon

Viper 791 XV Satellite Relay - 04 Civic

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
junkz 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  

I am installing a Viper 791 XV on a 2004 Civic EX coupe and have some questions about the satellite relay hook-up.

My Car has a second accessory circuit, but the 791 XV satellite does not have a second accessory output (unless an additional relay is added). 

• Is it necessary to provide power to the second accessory circuit? 
  • If it is necessary to provide power to the second accessory circuit , can I use the second ignition output of the satellite relay (my car does not have a second ignition circuit)? 
  • Does anyone know what the second accessory circuit powers? 
  • What is the difference between the satellite ignition output and the accessory output?

An answer to any or all of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

hagmanti 
Silver - Posts: 304
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
  • Only if that second accessory circuit powers something you want running during a remote start.
  • You could, but it would be more appropriate to use the pink/white programmable accesory/ignition output to a relay connecting 12V to that second accessory wire.
  • Yes. Unfortunately, not me. [;:]
  • I'm not sure what you mean. Possible answer: "One powers the ignition circuit (computer, other stuff only active when ignition is On), and the other powers an accessory circuit (radio, other stuff that's active when ignition is Acc)". But perhaps I'm not understanding the question?
Hope this helps,
Me
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
The pink/white is programmable to ignition or accessory. Read the manual.
Alright, I'll do it for you......
Pg 45. Option 3-9
rknj01 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
i would just use some diodes to isolate the 2 accy wires, and use the one accy wire from the viper to power them both
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  
diodes? What? 20 amp diodes? Your answer makes no sense.
Why do people that have no clue what they are talking about give advice like they know what they are doing.
rknj01 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
my advice is clear enough, its not my fault if you dont have the mental capacity to understand the post. there is more than one way to do things
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  

i'm with you JWorm, it is frustrating isnt it?   to hear people who dont have a sniff spouting their infinite wisdom.....

as JWorm said, all the new DEI products have the ability to change the second ignition to a second accessory simply thru the programming menu.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
junkz 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

I would like to thank all of you for your replies. 

I actually discovered that the 2nd ignition output was reprogrammable, on my commute into work this morning (thank you for the re-confirmation, though).  This was after re-reading the manual for ~the 10th time.  It seems that you need to "research" a DEI manual, as opposed to reading or referring to it as a reference.  Various pieces of information, on a topic, are scattered all through-out it, rather than in a central location.  It is up to the reader to pull all the information together. 

hagmanti,

I would like to clarify the following question: "What is the difference between the satellite ignition output and the accessory output?"

Clarification: How does the satellite ignition output differ from the satellite accessory output?  Is one higher voltage than the other?  Does one support a higher current draw?  Is it that an accessory output can be programmed to be on/off during wait to start, and the ignition output can not?

Thanks again,

Bill

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  

1.  the timing of the power up sequence is different ( one powers up before the other )

2. NO

3. NO

4. Yes

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
hagmanti 
Silver - Posts: 304
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
Kgerry said it much more succinctly than I could have. Let me just (de)clarify-- It's just like w/ the ignition switch-- it has an "ACC", a "Run" (or "ON"), and a "Start" (or "Crank") position. All that switch does (well, at least in older cars) is hook up 12V to
   ACC wire when in ACC position
   Ignition + ACC wire when in ON position
   Ignition + Start wire when in Start position
(If more than one ACC or ignition wire, then both are powered when either one is)
Since you are installing a remote start, your remote start must do this work (since no one will be turning the ignition). Thus, an ignition output supplies power to stuff while the car is cranking and thereafter. An accessory output doesn't start to supply power until after cranking is done (or until it sees a good tach signal, depending on your remote start).
Hope this helps,
Me
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic