icon

Grounded and Fused?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dubosv11 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2004 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  
Just a couple of question on Inline fuses...
I have two amps, one has (2) 30A fuses and the other one has (1) 30A fuse in the back...I take it to mean that I need an Inline fuse of 90A going to the battery?
I can't seem to find a fuse rated at 90A It's almost as if they aren't made, anyone know if I'm correct in needing the 90A use and where to find them and a fuse holder...
Also does the distribution block need to be fused?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 23, 2004 at 7:44 AM / IP Logged  

The distro block does not have to be fused.  It is the wires that connect from battery to amplifier that do have to be fused.  And each separate power wire out of the distro has to be fused.  A fused block gives you the fuseholders, but you can also use a simple unfused block and put in separate fuse holders on the wires.

All that to emphasize that the wires are protected with fuses.  An overheated wire can start a fire in the vehicle.  You should have a 4 gauge wire connected to battery, and a fuse close to the battery in that wire.  That fuse can be as high as the maximum amperage that a 4 ga. wire is capable of carrying without overheating.  This chart shows that value to be 150 ampereres.  Now, the thing is...you are only going to draw a max of 90 amps...so you can fuse the main power wire at any value from a minimum of 90 to a maximum of 150.

The individual wires coming off the distro to each amplifier, too, have to be fused.  Again, these fuses protect the wire from overheating due to accidents or whatever that might cause a ground short in a wire.  These wires should be 8 ga.  See the chart for max fusing:  100 amps each.  So the same rule applies as above:  one will be any value from 30 to 100, the other will be any value from 60 to 100.

What is the "Grounded..." part of the post title?  A play on Dazed and Confused?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2004 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  

http://www.bcae1.com/fuses.htm

Everything Stevdart said, but I would only add that I've read (on the link above and elsewhere) to stay away from buying the maximum 150 amp for 4g wire.  They recommend 125, and I have to say it sounds like a decent idea to be safe rather than sorry.  (who knows if brand x 4g will start burning earlier than 150)

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 23, 2004 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
just grab a 100 amp ANL and a standard ANL holder and off you go, you could also go with an 80 amp ANL ( which i probably would ) but you run the risk of it blowing if you are hitting maximum current draw and they are fairly expensive, so to be safe go with a 100
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
94legend 
Silver - Posts: 237
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2004 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  

I gotta questions, When running a 4 guage to a distroblock, on the distriblock has an AGU fuse slot, We put fill them up with an 80 amp agu fuse.  Is a fuse holder with fuse required between the amp and the distroblock? It'll be an 8 guage coming out from the distriblock. Will most likely use an ANL fuse all around, except the distribution block???

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 23, 2004 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  

between the amp and the distribution block?  NO ( since the circuit is already being fused in the distribution block )

between the battery and the distribution block? YES     check local insurance regulations but usually it has to be fused within 12 inches of the battery

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
94legend 
Silver - Posts: 237
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2004 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  

About the ANL Fuse, Are all distroblocks AGU fuse type? or are there ANL FUSE distroblocks?

THis website that kfr01 have sugggested
http://www.bcae1.com/fuses.htm
I find it to be very useful. Was wondering if they had a page of information on subwoofers, and caps?

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 23, 2004 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  

As far as I've seen, distro blocks have the AGU fuseholders, because you know that each wire is going to only one amp, and each wire has its own fuse.  You wouldn't need the higher value and more expensive ANL fuseholders.

And type in www.BCAE1.com in your address bar so you can have access to all the pages there.  He covers just about everything, incl. info on subs and caps.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic