icon

Underbody Lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ridepowder 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2004 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
I have a '00 Accord on which I want to put 1 or more LED underbody effects kits. These kits are complete with transformers etc. What I am curious about is how these loads effect the electrical system of the car. Can a alternator carry any load I put on it? How do I know the max. of aftermarket load it can take? Does anyone know what these kits need for current? I would like to put the lights on a time delay relay, so that when the car is off the light remain on for a designated time. How do I do this, what should I be looking for, where can I find it? Thanks for your time.
djv1 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
I couldn't tell you how you can time your lights to stay on unless you get a compasitor, which holds the electricity for a certain amount of time. You shouldn't worry about those lights, LED lights draw such a little amount of amperage that it doesn't even matter. Your alternatorvis about 70-100 amps, that will easily run that.
JVC deck
6.5in MB Quarts
Rockford 3001M amp
2 12in Kicker Comps
Sirus Sattilte Radio
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  

If you are using LED based underbody kits you should just eb able to put  a relay in line and connect to the headlights. That should solve your issue with them staying on until your headlights turn off.

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
tecca 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2004 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
In most states, Underglow kits are illege to drive with them on. Just so that you know, you may want to wire them to a toggle switch. Just my 2 cents
Love, Peace, And Chicken Greese
ridepowder 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2004 at 1:01 AM / IP Logged  
I was thinking a time delay relay would work, although I've never wired one on a DC cct. The toggle swt is a good idea, I'm hoping to find one that has a indicating light in it; so I know when they're are on. Up here, they are illegal to drive with them on; unless you are driving in a parking lot. They are allowed to be used at anytime if you have them on a bike(safety thing, you are so much more visible with them on.) Thanks for the replies, if anyone knows more please post.
mexaknpwr 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
are led's brighter than the neon underbody kits?
carguy411 
Silver - Posts: 683
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
use a pulse timer relay
you can adjust the time they stay on from 1 - 90 seconds
ridepowder 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Carguy411, i'll try the timing relay.
RiDePoWdEr./
ridepowder 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
I've never seen LEDs on a car, just neons. LEDs light themselves are lot brighter. And because you they don't need the high current drawn to spark the arc, you need with tubes, they drawn a lot lower current.
Has anyone seen LEDs up close, do they cast enough light that you don't get the dark shadows behind the wheelwells?
RiDePoWdEr.
matrixlu 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
Streetglow and plasmaglow are two well known dealers of LED underbody kits.  The LEDs is said to produce a brighter light then regular neons.  Most people purchase them due to the lights being able to be changed from one color to another with a turn of a knob.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic