icon

Headlights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Malibu2882 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2004 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I have a 1999 Malibu, with a factory aftermarker GM alarm. I was trying to have to headlights come on when I disarm just like my domelight already does. So I wired up the relay to my neg.headlights like so.

87 Ground , 85 12volt, 30 Negative headlight wire, 86 negative alarm illumated output.

now when I disarm, just the domelight comes on not the headlights also. but if I take a ground wire and touch the negative alarm output (86) they come on, and time out just like the domelight like it should. I have so clue whats up? Please help! thnks

Dave
hagmanti 
Silver - Posts: 304
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2004 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
Is 86 hooked up to the dome light supervision output _and_ the dome light wire?
If so, put a DMM across that connection, and disarm. I'll bet that wire's not going to ground... (because of the dome light circuit).
Fairly easy fix:
85 12V, 86 dome light supervision (only), 85 12V, 30 Negative headlight wire (low current only!) and negative dome light wire (low current only!) diode isolate.
Or, two relays...
Me
Malibu2882 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2004 at 2:25 AM / IP Logged  
no the domelight wire (-) is on 30 on it's own relay. I tried using 1 relay and diode the domelight wire and headlight (opening the door  would make the headlights come on) It worked fine but the diode got VERY hot . Right now I have 2 relays...one for domelight supp. and one for the headlights
Dave
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2004 at 3:34 AM / IP Logged  
here simple fix and this will work for you.,
two relays.
two diodes
ok now
take your domelight supervison wire since it is negative and twist the stripes side of the diodes together and attach them using one butt connector to the dome light supervision wire from the alarm. now you should have to negative signals comming from each of the diodes when you press disarm both ends of the diodes should show ground.
pin 86 on both relays give 12 volts fused constant.
pin 87 on both relays give ground
each didode should connect to pin 85 one for each relay
pin 30 is the outputs connect one relays output to the dome light supervision wire. and the other relays output to the negative headlight wire which has to be negative and does not reqire key in igniton.
that it now when you press disarm, and turn off igition the domelight and headlights will come on.
also if you set the alarm off after completion the headlights should flash.
any more help or for a diagram email me at nyinstaller@netscape.net
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic