the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

two dual voice coil speakers to a mono amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
padawan 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2004 at 2:49 AM / IP Logged  
Well ur speakers aren't capable of achieving 1-ohm if they are a dual voice coil 2-ohm speakers and wired together...You can only get 2-ohm with a series/parallel connection and 0.5-ohm with a parallel/parallel connection...Now one of ur subs by itself can be wired down to 1-ohm...But then you'll need to connect it to the other sub in either series or parallel and that's where ur final load impedance is going to change...Say u wired each subwoofers voice coils in parallel (parallel just means that ur pos voice coil is going to be connected to the other pos voice coil on the same sub and neg to neg...then with the subs themselves the pos from one sub connected to the pos on the other sub and neg to neg again), u would have two 1-ohm subwoofers right? Well together in series 1-ohm + 1-ohm is going to give u a 2-ohm final impedance...in parallel 1-ohm X 1-ohm divided by 1-ohm + 1-ohm is going to give u a 0.5-ohm final impedance...So unless u have an amp that is 0.5-ohm mono stable u don't want to wire them in parallel/parallel...It would be a lot easier and a lot cheaper to find an amp that give u the rms rating ur looking for for each sub, that is 2-ohm stable...That way u wire ur subs in series/parallel and be happy...What are the rms ratings on those subs anyway?
Series/Parallel for 2-ohm Final Load
Parallel/Parallel for 0.5-ohm Final Load
These are your 2 wiring options for what u got...If u had two DVC 4-ohm subs then u could get 1-ohm...Tell us the rms rating on each sub and maybe we could try to help u find a good match for an amp.
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2004 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  

Good post Padawan.

I could not help but notice that after you question was answered you asked again insisting that your speakers are 1 ohm capable.  Simply put, you cannot wire 2 dvc 2ohm speakers for a 1 ohm load.  That’s all.  You can get 2-ohm and .5 ohm.  If you do not understand why read the posts again, its all in there or this subject is over you head.  You can wire one of those speakers for a 1ohm load, but not two.

If you gave your amp model suggestions could be made as to hookup options that would optimize your output.  Good luck.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2004 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
I was not aware that Eclipse had dual 2 ohm 15" subs. What exact model# are your subs?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
ampman 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2004 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
Aight check it out. I don't know the model of the speakers because my when my brother bought the one speaker they gave him a different model box for his speaker because they were out of the right one. Now I only have in my possession one 15" Eclipse. I was in the procces of geting the second, but now am thinking about just staying with one because of many reasons.  I was told that the speaker was capable of reaching 1 ohm, but they must have meant just one of them. Now can you answer me this. Is it true that a 1 ohm load dampens more(what ever that means), heats up quicker, and is more distorted than a 2 or 4 ohm load? If so, wouldn't it be better just to go with a 2 ohm load. And even four would be better? Please help. Thankyou
ampman 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2004 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
Oh, the speakers are 500 watt RMS 1000 watt MAX and I am thinking about geting that other one now. Thanks
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 25, 2004 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  

ampman wrote:
Now can you answer me this. Is it true that a 1 ohm load dampens more(what ever that means), heats up quicker, and is more distorted than a 2 or 4 ohm load? If so, wouldn't it be better just to go with a 2 ohm load. And even four would be better?

Most of that is correct...in a way.  You should first realize that a speaker just works with what is given to it.  It's the amplifier that has differing measures of quality dependant on the ohm load that the speaker(s) gives it.  Subwoofers have a variety of ohm values and 1,2 or 4 coils...but that means nothing as far as how the speaker is going to perform.  It just means that when you're putting a system together you have plenty to choose from to get to the final marriage of subs and amplifiers to suit your needs.  Some amps will handle a 2 ohm load with ease, some will not.  Some will even handle a 1 ohm load, while most will not. 

Nowadays, it is common to push an amplifier to its limits to wring out every bit of power it can muster...at the expense of sound quality.  While a lot of SPL systems thrive on this concept, the SQ systems do not.  With SQ, the amp should have a higher (4 ohm) load put on it to achieve the best quality.

A one-ohm load does not dampen more.  Damping is a measurement that quickly goes to hell at the lower ohm loads.  When you read ratings of an amplifier, they are normally given at "rated", which is at 4 ohms.  The damping factor rating shown is at 4 ohm impedance.

Heats up quicker...yes.  A lower ohm load on an amp causes it to produce more current, resulting in more heat.

More distorted...no, and yes.  Distortion can happen at any impedance, but if the system is set up carefully doesn't happen at all.  But there is also THD (total harmonic distortion), and that type of distortion does increase dramatically when the ohm load is lower.

Yes, 2 ohm is better than 1 for quality.  4 ohm is better than 2.  A thing to remember is that the high frequencies of music demonstrate the difference in quality, so they should always be played at 4 ohm (higher for audiophiles with really expensive gear...).  But sub frequencies are very forgiving.  Normally 2 ohm impedance on a decent amplifier will net good results.  And there are some amps who give a performance equal to 2 ohms at a 1 ohm load.  These "high current" amps are sought by those who want SPL, and they put a lot of money and effort in building their vehicles to take the punishment of that much wattage.

Next week:  Ohm's Law and the raging debate in Congress

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
ampman 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2004 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks guy's. You have been loads of help.:) I'm thinkin of selling the 15 and geting four twelves that are 4 ohms. Thats what I had before, and they hit the hardest of anything I've had. Thanks again
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic