icon

Sub box facing rear seat

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jvee 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2004 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  

I would like to maximize trunk, so I am going to build a single woofer truck-like box.  The seatbacks are basically foam with little backing, I am planning to make a long, tall, thin 1.0 volume sealed box and angle it against the back seat.  This will take up very little room, but I wanted to make certain that it would not minimize accurate bass.   I believe if I aim it towards the trunk, it might be louder, but my car has almost no sound deadening for weight, and there is a big wing on the trunk, so I am worried about vibrations.   

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 25, 2004 at 7:04 AM / IP Logged  

The wing is on the rear because you need it to keep your car on the pavement when you're approaching Mach speed...right?  So, it looks like you have that important step done.  Next, and equally as important, is to make sure you have a big fat tailpipe that gets real loud....

But to have good-sounding bass, you will need to overcome all this with sound damping.  Until that is done, no matter how you build the box, or how you aim it, the sound of bass will be weak and the rattles will ruin it.  You will most likely need to adjust the tension on the trunk hinges to compensate for the extra weight...normally necessary even without the addition of an aerofoil wing.

You can build an enclosure that is very shallow as long as it meets the space requirements of the sub.  Make it strong and well-braced.  Consider, also, inverting the sub to allow the box to be as shallow as possible.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Jvee 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2004 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  

I new what I was asking for when I gave details about the car, but it came with little deadening and huge wing from the factory.  The car was too fun for me to pass up, and would have ordered without the wing, but you could not.  It has grown on me by now anyway.  As far as making the box strong and well-braced, I was going to use 5/8 mdf, but coat inside and outside of box with fiberglass resin.  I can imagine what you mean about inverting sub, but can you provide more detail. 

/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2004 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
he only meant on how you fit the sub to the box. normally you'll see subs only showing their cones, the drivers are inside the box,(hence, driver displacement for box volume calculations), inverting it means reversing it, so the driver is sticking out for everyone to see, you may have seen it on competition cars already, or even images on the net (i know the index of this site was showing a nicely done fiberglass box with an inverted sub).
so if you need 1.0cu you can make a very thin box, very long and wide, but the depth wouldnt be noticable(so long as its sturdy enough when the sub is mounted to it)
anyways, hope that helps.
GL and let us know what you do with your box, it will be interesting :-)
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 26, 2004 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  

Jvee, sorry for the attempt at early morning humor there.  Your car is no doubt a nice ride.  But to the point:  the box you build, being flat in nature, should have more rigid walls than 5/8".  The larger the area in square inches of any wall, the thicker it should be.  I would use the standard 3/4, although your experience with fiberglass resin coating may prove me wrong on this.

If I had an enclosure that looked something like this, I would add a brace from front to back in the center of the largest expanse of field, like what is shown with the red dot.  And more bracing on the other side of the speaker hole, also in red here.  That will help prevent flexing of the front and back panels.  The sub in this case would be inverted, as there is not enough depth to fit the entire speaker into the box.

Sub box facing rear seat - Last Post -- posted image.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2004 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
If you're puttin this in your trunk becareful with that you have in there and how the sub is set.  A huge magnet in the back of an open trunk is askin for trouble.  If you are still wanting to make your trunk useable, I would just recomend that you make the box a whole .1 cuft  (or whatever the speaker displacement is).  BTW hope that wing is workin!  Sub box facing rear seat - Last Post -- posted image. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic