icon

amp total power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
curt234 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2004 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  

How do they rate the power from an amp? To mean it seems misleading?

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 25, 2004 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  

in what respect?  they usually give an RMS value is is fairly honest, and then the maximum power at 90% THD which is useless...

i saw a (well known brand) amp come through here the other day that boasted 1000 watts on the heat sink, yet was fused with a 30 amp fuse, so i looked up the specs in the service manual...it was 300 watts RMS.... maybe i'm just old ( i am ) but i remember when amplifier companies gave you honest ratings based on a reasonable THD level, like less than 1%.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2004 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  

Well, actually it IS INTENDED to be misleading, especially in lower-end and mass-market consumer products.  As soon as marketing people figured out that people will buy audio products based on the listed power output, much of the truth in ratings went out the window.  Especially in car audio (but also in home gear and in computer audio) there is a false perception that "more watts = better."  So many manufacturers 'inflate' their ratings.  It is sad.

Not that I think manufacturers lie; undoubtedly the gear will do what they say.  But not necessarily in ways that are listenable.  I have tested car amps listed as "1000 watts" that do, indeed, produce peak output of 1000 watts.  But this is achieved at 20% THD and with severe 50% clipping.  This amp's max output before clipping was a whopping 64 watts!  So did the manufacturer lie?  No, the amp could produce 1000 watts without blowing the internal fuses.  Was the rating misleading?  Yes, very.

Look for ratings at 12 Volts, and less than 1% (0.1% is better) THD into 4 ohms (or higher) and they MIGHT be accurate and reflect what you can expect to get out of the amp.  Ignore "peak" or "music power" ratings.

Support the12volt.com
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2004 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  
I wish we could take a flamethrower to these companies that outright produce misleading information like this. This is one of my big issues about the industry.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2004 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
So what exactly is dynamic power? Most companies seemed to use dynamic power as the peak power of the amplifier. MTX has ratings for "RMS Power 12.5 VDC" at 2 and 4 ohms, and "Dynamic Power 14.4 VDC" at 2 and 4 ohms. Some online retailers state MTX's "Dynamic Power" as RMS.
EX. MTX Thunder1501D has a dynamic power 14.4 VDC at 2 ohms of 1500 Watts x 1. So is this its peak or RMS watts at 14.4 VDC?
Jon
Don't like rockford subs? Then don't look at my car =)
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2004 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  

In general, "Dynamic" is a code word for "peak."  AKA "Peak Music Power" or "Dynamic Headroom."  All made-up words for peak instantaneous (<10ms) output..

RMS refers to voltage and current, by the way.  Power is power.  The so-called RMS ratings are the number of watts the amplifier can sustain based on maximum RMS voltage and current capability.  But it is the best indication of true amplifier output... assuming the distortion rating is also suitably low.  I know of at least one poor-quality manufacturer (think fake German-sounding name) who rate their amps as "RMS Watts" but do not list distortion numbers.  When the amp was tested, it produced the rated power but at 15% distortion!  Recipe for burned voice coils....

Support the12volt.com
aggie altima 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2004 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for clearing that up DYohn. I wasn't sure if MTX was using the term dynamic as other companies were, and it's confusing since they don't list RMS watts at 12.5 AND 14.4 volts like I'm used to seeing.
Jon
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
if the company doesnt list a THD, or a rms rating for any such catagory i tend to stay away
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
For the record that MTX amp was listing the real RMS power that it could produce. Check the Birthcertificates for the exact ratings.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
aggie altima 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 4:22 AM / IP Logged  
Okay, I'm confused again (and a little sleepy). Ravendarat, are you saying that the 1501D is supposed to push 1500 watts RMS at 2ohms with 14.4 VDC? and if that is the case, are they using "dynamic" as RMS?
Jon
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic