icon

amp total power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  

Back when I first started in car audio as a hobby (in the early 90's), I was very turned off about MTX's amps. The sales guy at HH Gregg had told me at the time about their "dynamic" power rating/headroom and how they were so much better than the competition because of this fact. I immediately said "I think I'll look a round a little more, thanks" and haven't really given MTX a very serious thought since. Not saying that MTX isn't any good, it's just if that's what they were training their sales people to say, then they can count on me NOT being their customer.

I have to laugh at all the claims that I see in regards to wattage whenever I get the urge to look for something new. "760 total watts x 4!" when really it is more like 30 watts x 4 @ 4 ohms.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  
Yes what I am saying is that amp produces that much power RMS at 2 ohms at 14.4 volts. Reason why I said look at the birth Cirtificates is that that lists the true power for that specific amp. For the record I have never delt with a better company then MTX in regardess to their rep and their Training seminars, I have sold kicker, jvc, pioneer, Rockford,kenwood,sony,infinity, jbl, ultimate (shudders), and Quart (breifly) and none of them were even close to the level of support that MTX gives. I also would take their gear over any of the other stuff I have listed, wouldnt even think twice about it.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  
Agreed, MTX makes fine gear.  But their listed "Dynamic" power is still a peak rating.  They also list RMS output seperately.
Support the12volt.com
racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  

I am a true MTX fan, they do give you the true RMS ratings at 12.5 volts before they give you the dynamic power ratings at 14.4volts. A buddy of mine runs a Licenesed MTX repair facility and has tested many MTX amps over the years, even the very early models. They have all performed as stated by MTX. MTX is one of the reputable companies out there as far as ratings are concerned.

I myself am looking to purchase an MTX 1501D mono amp to power my MTX 8104's. It is rated at 1000 watts RMS at 2omhs 12.5v and 1500 peak at 14.4. The amp will actually put out almost  1700 at 14.4v as tested by my friend and some of MTX's birth sheets will show this as well. MTX all the way.

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
padawan 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
I agree, MTX is a top notch company, love thier amps...Their subs are....well, ok.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic