2004 Alero Remote Start Problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tenny 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2004 at 7:41 AM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I tried installing my autostarter in my 2004 Alero today and for some reason it will not work. I am sure that I got all of the wires correct but when I hit the transmitter button on the remote the "brain" clicks about 5 times but nothing happens. I used the "PL-06 Bypass module for GM PASSLOCK2". I put a DMM on the ignition harness on the brain and the only reading I get when it's clicking is on the constant 12 volt line, it never sends any voltage out on the starter wire, is this a sign of a defective starter?

the only conflicting advice I seem to be finding on searches that I have done is that:

Some people say that one of the constant 12 volts goes to the red wire adn the other one goes to the RED / black wire.
Also, some say the acc wire goes to one of the orange wires and some say it goes to the brown.
I have both power wires going to the one red wire, and I have the acc going to one of the orange wires. I tested it using a DMM and it seemed fine.

I dont think that it would really make any difference what it is hooked up to though when the DMM says that there is nothing being outputed on any of the lines (including starter)

iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2004 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  
What brand/model remote start system are you installing?
Double check the brake input and hood input wires. If they are seeing the wrong polarity it will cause most starters to abort the remote start attempt.
tenny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2004 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  

It's made by a canadian company called "AutoStart", its just a basic autostart/keyless entry combo.

the brake input wire is fine.

I am now have a problem that I am blowing a fuse on the 12volt constant wire. I know for sure that the 12 volt, acc, ign, ign2, etc are all connected properly.

It all tests out ok, when I plug in the second harness which has the brake, hood pin, parking lights, ground, and tach wire it immediatly blows the fuse on the 1st harness 12 volt line. I then hooked it up without the second harness and tested the outputs to see what was going on, everything was working as expected except for on the brain itself where the pin for the hoodpin connects to is outputing 6 volts, i am pretty sure this is what is causing the blown fuse, as this should be a ground sholdnt it?

All of the main ignition wires checked out fine, and the fuse is only blown immediatly when I connected the second harness.

tenny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2004 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
btw www.autostart.ca and its the AS-1424
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 26, 2004 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
What color is your Brake Wire that U have the Autostart hooked to? Blue or Orange?  Where is your Hood Pin wire going to?
MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
tenny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2004 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  

I belive it was blue, I tested it it with a DMM and its 0 and when I hit the brake it goes to 12, let go and it goes back to 0

The hood pin wire goes to the hood pin in the engine bay. The brain unit itself is output 6 volts onto the wire, does this mean it is deffective? or is it supposed to put 6 volts to ground *confused*

mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 26, 2004 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
If this is the Stock Vehicle hood pin, U might want to check that.  It should be 0 volts when hood is shut. U could disconect it to test. Did U have a wiring diagram for vehicle?
MO
tenny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2004 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
Its the hood pin that came with the remote starter and I alaredy tested it, thats how i know its outputting 6 volts on the output of the brain for the remote start unit when teh main ignition harness is plugged into it.
mo12v 
Posted: September 26, 2004 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
Unless U have the wires U listed on 2nd plug wired to WRONG wires (which it sounds like U know ) U might want to hook up Ground wire on 2nd Plug ONLY and hook up wires on 1st plug one by one. 
What size fuse is blowing?
MO
hagmanti 
Silver - Posts: 304
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2004 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
6V on an input pin isn't that wierd, unless significant current is flowing. The unit is "reading from" that pin, and one way to do that is put a little voltage on that line and see if a certain amount of current flows-- if it does, then the line must be connected to ground...
As to whether it's normal for that alarm or not, I have no idea...
Me
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic