icon

AVIC-N1 annoying noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xromb 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2004 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
My brand new Pioneer AVIC-N1 works just great, butit is noisier than I expected. This is not noisethrough the speakers or audio system. There is a1600 hz tone that is clearly audible all the time,whether or not there is a disk in the drive, thatcomes from the main unit in the dash. I've listenedcarefully, and the noise does not come from the LCD panel; it comes from either the drive itself or fromother electronics behind the control panel. Anyone elsebothered by this noise? (The noise may actually be3200 hz.)
Dr. Bob
jeremyjerm 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
htf did you get that frequency?   maybe a fan dude
xromb 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2004 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
It indeed is the fan. The dealer and I listened to 4AVIC-N1 units. They all have the annoying noise, andPioneer is aware of the problem. If we find a way to install one of the other Pioneer offerings, we will do so. The AVIC-N1 is the only unit that we listened to thathas the objectionable noise. Avoid the AVIC-N1.
Dr. Bob
awilliams64 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2004 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
i have installed several  of these and have never heard it.  i will have to listen tomorrow after i install another one and see if i can hear it. 
xromb 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2004 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  
Let it warm up. You will then hear the fan. We listened to four units. Two played an A natural, one a slightly flat G sharp, the other a G natural. This is a fatal flawunless you always play your music really loud. If you ever listen to the news or just turn off the audio, the fan noise will be there and drive you crazy. It is really quite loud. None of the other automotive DVD players that I have listened to, even from Pioneer, have a fan pitched so high in the audible range. It is a noise tone that is not hidden by road noise.
Dr. Bob
clemsondave 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2004 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  

I heard the fan pretty clearly in the Crutchfield store.  The unit was not turned on.

Any idea when this may be resolved?  If I got one now, do you think they would swap it out if they come up with a fix?

dave

awilliams64 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2004 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
i heard it today and definitely the fan, i never noticed it until this was brought up, you guys must have good ears!!! maybe they will fix the problem with the avic n2 coming out in a few months....
the1alchemist 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
try 'building' a smooth transition on the outside of the heatsink with jb weld,form/sand it,then disassemble the unit and glue a small piece of sound deadening to the fans hub,i am a fan of mfm peal and seal,as opposed the commercially available dyna mat,less than 100 dollars for 100 square feet!! Always use spray glue,i use 3m-super 90,NOT the 77!! make sure the stuff comes out like snot..
This will change the speed of the fan,and deaden the noise..dont worry about hurting the fan..its brushless.
'Stereo' Mike
The Audio CARtist,LLC
9600 Balt. Ave.
College Park,MD 20740
301-474-6260

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic