icon

Help..bad situation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
beatjunkie 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2004 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  

whatsup, id really appreciate some help and advice for some knowlagable people...

this is my situation,

i recently pulled out my old head unit, a jvc that i had installed by someone like a year ago, anyway, the splicing was sh*t, and  theres a huge fat black wire, that i am 99% sure is the antenna wire...its spliced up and not able to be spliced again, i dont even understand why it was spliced in the first place due to the fact its an antenna wire...

assuming it is the antenna wire, do  i need it if i want to insatll a amplified cd/dvd player to take th place of my current jvc one??

i hope you can answer this,

thanks

flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2004 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  

is this wire apart of the others in the plug? If not, than it is the antenna wire.

I have no idea what you mean by splice. Has the wire been cut? If not, it may have an antenna plug adapter, necessary for some vehicles, GMs always need them, the factory plug wotn't fit without it. It may also be an antenna extender, some installers use these to make a HU install easier in certain vehicles.

flynntech 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2004 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
If you want AM/FM reception.....especially an FM modulated CD changer if you buy one of those, you will want an antenna. HUs rarely pick up anything without a properly terminated antenna.
beatjunkie 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2004 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  

im sorry..im not clearly stating myslef..my fualt..

its the thickest wire.. and when i say splice i mean cut...i have came to the conclusion that it is in fact th antenna wire..

so ill make my question more clear..

do i need the antenna wire coming from my vehicles wiring system, to use a dvd/cd player?

...and i dont care about the radio..

thanks again.

flynntech 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2004 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  

"...and i dont care about the radio.."

In that case, you don't need the antenna. It's only a coaxial cable from the antenna for radio reception.

If you connect the CD/DVD to your HU via FM in-line modulator, you can plug that right into the antenna jack on the HU without connecting the antenna to the other side. You might as well fix it though, never know when you may need some AM/FM reception. If you're not sure how to splice this, the best is to buy a new antenna with the wire already connected, just run it from the antenna to your radio.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic