icon

Audiobahn A1800D amplifier troubles

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
newman 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
Thats a good sized amp.you may need a capicator. do your headlights dim when the bass hits really hard? you should be using a good quality 4 gauge power wire, nothing smaller. also, your ground should not be over 18 inches or so. sounds like some kind of power problem. If you have been not using a cap, your alternator may be going out.  If you ever need more a'bahn stuff goto www. mycarjams.com. He is a customer of mine. He dosen't have bahn on his site yet, but he can get it. He's a nice guy and will treat you right.
John Newman
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
As I have had explained to me in the past, the lenghth of the ground wire doesnt matter as long as the resistance is low enough. A 18 inch ground wire can easily carry more resistance than a 20 foot ground wire depending on how the ground is terminated. For what its worth, my negative response to audiobahn comes from two sources. First I have seen to many problems with it from a reliability stand point, and second, I went up a lot of it in competion this year and almost every time, on paper it should have put me to shame, and everytime I embarresed the people using it. To be fair some of those systems were installed by what looked to be a farmer with a butter knife, but there were probally half a dozen that were designed to spec and seemed to have decent installs and everyone of them dissapointed me. Im not "hatin' " on audiobahn here, I am simply stating person al experience and explaining myself. BTW with all the Audiobahn I have seen blow up I wouldnt jump to conclusions and blame yourself if the amps blown, it likly wasnt your fault.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
The amp "POPS" even when there are no RCA's plugged in.  So It shouldn't be emitting a sound at all.  There is 4 gauge, if not 2 gauge (i forget, but go with the 4) wire flowing about 2 feet, from a fused (200amp) distribution block, which is supplied by 18 feet of 1/0 gauge right from the battery.  The ground is about 1 foot of the 4ga running into another unfused distribution block, into about 1.5 feet of 1/0 gauge into a pretty isolated (nothing else around it) ground.  Again, there is another amp, 300 watts (audiobahn) that has about 5 feet of wire between it and the distribution blocks,  and it works perfectly.
I once considered competing with this rig, but since there aren't any events in this area (boston) i don't.  The closest I come to competeing is cranking mine up, when some kid with his Xplod woofers comes up next to me (yeah, that was a sony bash).  So If i push mine, it isn't often.  Again, this amp is a few years old.  So I'm sure the more up-to-date version has fewer bugs...
~wayland
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
I've got an audiobahn amp and subs that I've had for about 5-6 months now and havne't had a problem with. However, i keep hearing audiobahn makes inefficient stuff. I'm pretty much convinved that they do. Anyone else think that?
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
I don't like to diss anybodys stuff, but my wholesale guy saw the audiobahn demo car fry its amps @ daytona spring break nats. If the audiobahn guys can't make there stuff work, well it makes you think. I like Boss amps, but they get dissed all the time. I have had no trouble myself, but i guess that all brands have there lemons that go out. Try using another amp just to see what happens. hook it up the same way and see if it does the same thing. Your amp might just be toast. Good luck.
Big Dave
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic