Audiobahn A1800D amplifier troubles

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  

wayland1985 wrote:
The wiring has been checked, and rechecked twice before.  Every single portion of the wiring looks fine.  And the subs are wired 1ohm.  (Although one sub isn't hooked up).  Audiobahn beleives my problem may be due to my alternator.  They feel my stock alternator may not be sending enough current to power the woofers,  so the amp Shuts off on the larger beats.
Would this make sense?  I'm not running a capacitor (Everyone here insists that you should just save for a high-output alternator)

Is your ground good and tight? What kind of car do your drive? No, a capacitor will almost never solve your problem.

wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

Ground is tight, although im going to try a differen ground ring, for a bigger surface contact area.  I'm driving a 1994 Ford Explorer XLT

~wayland
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
Once you disconnected a sub, you went to a 2 ohm load because now you are not paralleling two loads into 1 ohm.  If the impedance at 1ohm is what caused the shutdown, then it shouldn't be happening now at 2 ohm.  So impedance is probably not the problem.  Customsuburb's concern about the ground wire might be the reason.  And, again, check the wiring to the amp to make sure there are no stray strands touching the wrong post.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
wayland1985 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  

The wiring is fine.  I've checked it all.  I'm also running a 4 channel, 300 watt rms amp to four speakers. 

The setup is from battery Back-  1 Foot of wire to a 200amp fuse.  Wire (1/0g)  Runs all the way to the rear of the truck, about 18 ft of wire, where it is distributed by a Scosche EFX Distribution block.  A 40 amp AGU fuse runs 5 feet to the 4 channel amp using 8 gauge,  A 150 amp ANL fuse runs about 1 foot to the 1800 watt amp.  The grounds from each re-enter another fuse block, into a 1/0 gauge final ground.  about 2.5 feet from the large amp, and 6 feet from the small amp.
The small amp (which is audiobahn)  NEVER has trouble, and has been running strong for over 2 years now.  It is very succeptible to heat. 
The large amp is open for cooling, and gives me trouble on nearly a daily basis.

~wayland
wayland1985 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
Stevdart,  I'm not positive by what you're talking about impedence. 
What Audiobahn is trying to say, is that the 10 year old alternator (which is dying already,  as seen when it can barely power windsheild wipers, a blinker, and headlights at once)  isn't putting out enough amperage for the 1800 watt amp.  It's getting about 14.2 volts (when it' should be getting 14.4, but this is found at most connections around the truck)  but volts dont really mean anything in my case.  Audiobahn says i should have at least a 140 amp Alternator, for my setup.  They say that the 70 amps my truck puts out is hardly enough. 
When my subs hit, the amp is drawing as much current as it can,  although there isn't enough.  What Audiobahn beleives is happening is that it's sucking amperage out, but by the time another beat comes up, there isnt' enough juice to power the subs.  So they say the amp is essentially starving itself of power, causing it to shut off,  until a surge comes up, giving it enough fuel for another series of beats before it shuts off again.
I probably didn't word this all correctly, so try and correct me.  Right now I'm just trying to figure out if my alternator is my problem's source.   INPUT PLEASE!!!
~wayland
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
Yep, as the doctor says...I concur.  A new higher output alternator is needed here.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
wayland1985 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
So does everybody else agree?  And if so, can you refer me to a good reliable alternator company?
~wayland
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  

Sounds like an alternator. 

Do a quick test.  Turn you lights and air on and turn up your system and see when it cuts off.  If it cuts out sooner when your air and light or on it could be your alternator. 

Also check the fuses on the amp itself.  If you have more than one fuse one could be blown.  I once had the problem of the amp cutting out on heavy beats and could not figure out why.  After checking all connections and speakers I could not figure out what was going on since the amp played but only shut down when being pushed.  I was about to uninstall the amp and removed the fuses and there was my problem a blown fuse. 

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
Make sure your belt is tight under the hood. It could just be loose and not turning the Alt to its fullest potential, but I would guess it needs replacing.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
wayland1985 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2004 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, so the new alternator is on the way.  Wanna help me install it???   https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=40001&PN=1&tpn=1  
Thanks again guys...

BTW- the fuses were all fine, as was the belt (which is about a month old).  Thanks for all the input, and I'll keep you all updated.
ALSO-  AUDIOBAHN HATERS:   The tech support rep who helped me had one of the amp's engineers call me in person.  Since he knows what he built, he gave me about 15 minutes of check ups to do.  Everything was okay, so he also blames the alternator, and even possibly not enough power for two amps from my Sony's (I AM A SONY HATER, THE HEAD UNIT WILL BE GONE BY THE END OF THE YEAR... how are those pioneer AVIC N-1's?)   turn on wire , and that I should run a relay too.   DOES YOUR COMPANY GO OUT OF IT's WAY TO CALL YOU IF YOU NEED HELP?????  
I DOUBT IT!!!   HAHA   Audiobahn A1800D amplifier troubles - Page 2 -- posted image.
~wayland
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic