icon

quetion about mounting tweeters in my car

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
this question is a little specific just because i dont' know what other accords look like in terms of what i'm attempting to describe.
anyways, i'm replacing the inside speakers with mb quarts (all around) and getting components up in the front. i found a spot to place the tweeter but i don't know if it will work. i want it to look nice and not have something just popping out somewhere. so here we go, i have a 97 accord coupe. there are black plastic panels on the doors, about where the mirrors are. i was wondering if i can take these off and mount the tweeters in there? im hoping that they are just a cover or something and that they are deep enough to mount them as well. any suggestions or does anyone know if it will work?
thanx
oshi 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  
not sure how deep the cover is, but yes they will come off. you may have to remove the door panel to get them off though.
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  
this is a little of the subject, but it's still about tweeters. i've been reading about time lapse or something like that. i'm guessing that it is the time lapse between the bass driver and the tweeter. is there anyway to counteract this or should i even be worrying about it?
rknj01 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  
if you want go to a honda dealer and order the parts with factory tweeters in them already and remove them. it will give you more depth. i bought them for my 03 civic and they were only 20 bucks
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
that's an awesome idea. i read somewhere about a website that carries factory honda parts. does anyone know of it? also, i'm guessing that the tweeter diameter would be the same as aftermarket ones?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  

hightek wrote:
this is a little of the subject, but it's still about tweeters. i've been reading about time lapse or something like that. i'm guessing that it is the time lapse between the bass driver and the tweeter. is there anyway to counteract this or should i even be worrying about it?

You're talking about time alignment and yes, it can be an issue if the woofer and tweeter are placed too far apart.  What happens is the sound from the tweeters (which are usually placed much closer to your head) arrives at your ears before the sound from the mid-woofers and you can hear the delay.  In the close proximity of a car, it is usually not that noticable.  Without specialized equipment to test it or to adjust the timing in your system, the only thing you can do to mask it (if you think it is a problem after you mount your speakers) is to attenuate the tweeter signal strength by inserting a resister L-pad into the signal path between the X-over and the speaker.

Support the12volt.com
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  

i'm guessing for the most part then i will not have to worry about it.

out of curiosity how far does the tweeter and woofer have to be in order for this to take place???

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  

Personally, I would not worry about this phenomenon. If it was important to you, then you would be working as hard as possible to minimize it by putting the tweeters somewhere else. What looks good on a meter or scope may infact not sound good to your ears. Solid advice for the factory tweeter mounts, you may want to consider a wrecking yard as well. If they are the wrong color, who cares, nothing that spray paint can't fix.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
thats where I run a set of tweeters in my 98 civic...I dont notice any problems at all    look at one of these cars guess what they came stock on the ex with 3/4 in tweets taks some minor sdjustments to fit a 1 inch but it can be done
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
what is this piece called exactly? i would like to know that way when i try and find one that came in a diff. model i know what i'm talking about
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic