icon

Please Help Setup Silverado

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Vandals909 
Copper - Posts: 88
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 3:31 AM / IP Logged  
Right now I have a stock 2004 silverado extra cab.  It came with the four regular speakers.  My question is, how would you set this truck up? With money as no option. Components, or speakers?  What size front and rear door speakers? What kind of sub? One or two subs?  10's or 12's.  Also what kind of amp?  I listen to all types of music from rap to 70's rock.  I want something that sounds clean and hits pretty good.  Also I would like to put in a dvd player and monitors in the visor. What would you go with? Thanks for all the help and your time.
Vandals909 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
Are the alpine type R's anygood?  I dont need alot of bass just something with a little thump and a clean sound!
padawan 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
Alpine Type Rs are pretty good subs, i like them a lot...If u go with them, toss em in something like THIS
If ur gonna go with something like a stealthbox or something, MTX got a good one HERE and HERE
And JL Audio makes a nice one too (only 1 sub though, 12 inch) HERE
Also, go with some component speakers, JL, CDT, Focal make nice component sets...Since money is no object and everything, also, grab a JL 500/1 or hifonics amp or something similar for ur sub(s) and same brands for ur components, just get a 2-channel and run the fronts off of it and the rears off the head unit...Or a 4-channel and run em all off the amp.
Also u asked about what kind of subs, i go with 2 subs, and i'd go with 10s, but that's my preference, i like 10s...i listen to a lot of classic rock and new rock too, i just like the way 10s sound compared to 12s of the same kind.
Vandals909 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply.  So for the money the alpine type R's will sound the best?  Our how do they comepare to a jl w3v2 or a kicker 10" l7?  I have never heard eitherso........  Also are the infinity kappa's good 4x6's for the back door? Thanks again!
padawan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
I'd say the Alpine Type R is about on par with a JL W3...The Kicker L7 is ok, but not in the same class as the other 2 subs as far as SQ goes...U woun't be disappointed with the Type Rs...If i were u i would get either that JL 500/1 to push em, see the specs HERE Or if u want something different or want to save money, check out these 2 amps (i like each one a lot): Hifonics BX500D and JBL GTO 601.1
Remember, the Type Rs come in 2 different DVC configurations...Dual 2-ohm and Dual 4-ohm...If u get Dual 4-ohms u will need an amp that can be stable at 1-ohm which is the Hifonics...If u get Dual 2-ohm then u can get either of the other two amps suggested since u can wire Dual 2-ohm to 2-ohm final load...
As far as the infinity 4X6s u asked about, i dunno...If they are going in the back, and ur gonna have two type r's in a truck, ur not gonna hear them much, i would concentrate on my fronts...Get some quality components speakers for the front and amp em, toss ur type r's under the seat and rock out...The rear fill is just rear fill...U can put any kind of 2-ways back there (within reason) don't put something that's sounds liek absolute ass, but ya know, u can get away with lesser grade rears...Work on the subs and the front part of the stage and u'll be happy.
Vandals909 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
What are the main difference between the 2ohm and 4ohm (Sorry I'm new to all this).  What are the advantages and disadvantages? do they have to be matched with the front components?  What are some good 6.5 components? Thanks again for all the help!!
Vandals909 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  

So after reading the post again I'am confused.  What is a better sub the w3v2 or the alpine type R.  Is there a better sub that will fit in the extra cab?

padawan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
K, in my opinion, the Alpine Type R and the JL W3 are pretty close in terms of SQ, very comparable subs...The Alpine Type R is cheaper, so if u want to save some $$$, go with the Type Rs, u will not be disappointed...Any set of 10s with the right box will fit ur truck...
There's little difference between the impedances (1-ohm, 2-ohm, 4-ohm etc...) as far as the subs themselves go, it's the amp ur worried about, how does it sound when faced with a certain load...and also is it stable at that load....If u go with Type Rs, I would get the Dual 4-ohm type rs and get that hifonics brutus amp, that will give u 250W rms to each type r (they're rms recommended power is 300w rms) so it would be a close match...Also the reason i would get the hifonics amp is becuz it's 1-ohm stable and u can wire the 2 alpine type rs in parallel/parallel like THIS to get that 1-ohm final load....The brutus is a good amp and is cost effective...If u got money to burn, go with the JL Audio 500/1 and get the type rs in Dual 2-ohm and wire them in series/parallel like THIS to get a 2-ohm final load...If all u can find are the Dual 2-ohm type Rs and want to save money on the amp, then get the JBL GTO 601.1 i mentioned...Got it?
I already named some good compponent manufactueres, look at CDT's website HERE or look on ebay and look at Focal, JL Audio, Infinity etc....Component sets, u should get the two 6.5 speakers, the two tweeters, and the crossovers in a package...Just search and go with ur budget, u must amp these components for them to sound like anything by the way....So search for a good 2-channel or 4-channel amp as well, something close to the rms wattage each speaker needs at the load it needs...so if u have 70W rms components, ur gonna need an amp that can deliver 70W rms X 2 @ 4-ohms...or something as close to that as possible...ya know?
Vandals909 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the help!! The head unit I want is a pioneer dvd player.  It does not have the monitor built into it.  I eventually want to put in two visor monitors.  What powers the monitors and also will adding a tv tuner.  Will adding these monitors and a tv tuner effect the amp setup? 
padawan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
Nope shouldn't affect amp setup, should be fine...I'm not too much a moble video guy like some of the guys on here, but i'm sure to get power to em u'll just have to find some kind of 12V source and ground...no problem.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic