icon

Pioneer AVIC-n1 installation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
clemsondave 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 2001 Camaro SS Convertible w/monsoon.

I have installed many car stereo's in the past.  I am wondering if I should take on installation of this unit.  Local dealer wants $450 more(than ebay and other online sources) for the unit and $200 for installation.  They make it sound complicated... finding the VSS, running to brake light, locating the sensor, etc.

Any thoughts?

thanks, dave

thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
Not a very difficult thing to install. For a $2000$ toy, it worth the price of admission to get it done right at an authorized dealer. Warranty issue is your biggest and main concern. None if you do it yourself. I've been to the service centre at Pioneer and there are lots of these unit waiting to be service. Most are manufacture defeats, so they are service very quickly and get send back to the dealer in second to avoid customer complain. If you do it yourself, you might set yourself up to be blame for incorrect install. As for service repair, you are now in second priority list along with the rest of the other do it your selfer. Not worth the trouble. My two-cent.   
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Pioneer AVIC-n1 installation - Last Post -- posted image.
JMaxx93 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2004 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  

how do you plan on bypassing the monsoon system?

you don't really have to use the VSS or the reverse light. you don't need the parking brake light either.  however if you don't know the reason why you don't or do need these things then you prolly should just shell out the cash.  because the other benefit of having someone install is you can take it back to them to have it unistalled if some does malfunction. also its important to postiton the brain correctlyon the avicn1 for proper operation.

clemsondave 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2004 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  

JMaxx,

You got me there.  I figured I would need a wiring harness and possibly an amplifier harness to connect to monsoon.  Am I correct?

As far as not connecting to VSS or reverse light, you got me there too.  I did not know you could bypass this step.  I did know position of the brain is critical, flat and facing forwards.  I figured under the passenger seat would be ok.  I have not seen instructions yet.

I am all for letting someone else do it, and I make a living by preaching 'buy local.'  However, their 'discounted' price is 35% higher than many authorized sources on web.  If it were close, no question.  But for $700, I think I am willing to give it a shot.

Let me ask this, what would a fair price be for the AVIC-N1, voice, aux input, harnesses and installation?  Maybe I should try to find another local source.  Not many around here though.

Thanks for all of the input, exactly what I was looking for.

dave

slab42 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2004 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  

why can't you buy it online, and have the local shop install it?  With the monsoon system, it is definitly worth having them do it, $200 total for installing an N1 is a great price!  My shop would charge $325-$350 for that car, including parts.

will they flex at all on price?  if it is a small shop, and you ask if they will meet you halfway on price, they might, just to make the sale. (cost for the unit is about $1400, so they wont go too low)

as far as the VSS wire, BU wire, and PB wire...

the VSS is not necessary, but helps the N1 be more accurate, instead of recalculating your position, it can use the VSS signal for more accurate navagation

The BU wire is not necessary either, but if you hook up the VSS, and not the BU, the AVIC will not know if you are going forward or backing up, and it will have to recalculate your position again.  also, if you have a back up camera, you need to have the back up wire hooked up to get the full features of the N1

It is not necessary to connect the PB wire to the parking brake, but cannot be left "unconnected", or you will not be able to watch a movie, etc. at all!  there are easy ways to make the N1 "think" the parking brake is on ;)

clemsondave 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2004 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  

Don't know for sure, but I am guessing the $200 installation is if I buy the hardware from them.

I think I am going to give it a shot.  I bought an Alpine to tide me over until I have time to play with the N1.  I installed it along with their new ipod kit under passenger seat in around 2 hours.  Then removed the ipod kit and went back to just aux in.  If interested in my thoughts on Alpine ipod kit, let me know.

Working in the Camaro is easier than I thought!

Any advice on where to mount the SWI-x IR? I was thinking behind the rear view mirror facing down.

PB wire to ground, right? :-)

dave

JMaxx93 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2004 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  
you can actually install the swix ir in the bezel right nest to the head unit.  test it first to be sure. but that usually works fine.
JMaxx93 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2004 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  
and the avic n1 will know just fine if your reversing or not because of the gyros in the brain.  but sure hook it up if you have those wires.
awilliams64 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2004 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
the company i work for has them for $1999 and we are doing free installation on them,. normal install is $150 and on the monsoon system you can wire it up no problem if you know what you are doing without any adapters and it will all work fine.as far as the vss wire you dont have to have it but the vehicle dynamics portion of the unit will not function and is will be less acurate.  you dont have to have the reverse wire but again it is recommended.  I think you are better off going w/ an authorized shop to get the full warranty because i know some companies like kicker, jl give no warranty what so ever if not purchased from an authorized dealer. 
alex12volt 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  

Hello!

What connection is necessary to run Pioneer AVIC-X1 working on the workbench ? Is it enough ACC and BU1 connection only ?

Thank you,

Alexander.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic